A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

About What You Said...

I read in a recent post on Holly's blog that she wasn't commenting at her usual haunts, but she wanted to let her friends and visitors know that she was out there reading and visiting and would be back to her usual posting soon.

It made me stop and think about my own comments. You know I don't know if it's just because I've sort of settled into blogland or what, but my compulsion to read and comment everyday at most of the blogs I visit has just sort of gone away. Mostly because I don't think I have anything new to add to the discussion.

When I began my adventures in blogland, I was reading and lurking at different blog sites for quite a while before I'd comment. Once I started commenting though, the flood gates opened. Somehow I began to feel like it was rude to visit and not comment even if I was only echoing what someone else said. Sometimes the blog topic was too interesting or provocative not to comment. Then I went through a "that isn't clever or witty enough" stage and would agonize about what to say.

Yeah, I suffer from worrying about people I haven't met liking me. Sad, but true.

Now I just comment when the spirit moves me. Like tonight for instance, I felt compelled to say something almost every where I visited. Could I tell you why? No. Then again sometimes I don't comment for a week. Again, why? Dunno. The great thing is I don't think about it (much) or worry about it, which is nice.

One thing I don't do any more is read or comment when there are already more than 20 or so comments. Unless for some strange reason I happen to see a post early and comment, you can bet if there are lots of comments (80? 100?) I won't read them all and I won't add to them. Too much work usually and more often than not someone's being snotty to someone else and I'm just not interested.

Anyway, I thought Holly's note to her blog visitors and friends was nice. So like her, I'm just letting you all know I'm still visiting, I'm still enjoying your posts, reviews, anecdotes about your life, but sometimes I just don't have anything to say. Which isn't to say that the next time I visit I won't leave a comment that should be a post on my own blog.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Karen Scott said...

I also find that I don't comment elsewhere as much as I used to. I don't even lurk as often as I used to. My regular haunts are Dear Author and Sybil, but I still only post if I have something to say.

I even stop posting at my own site once the comments get to a certain level. And when the Anon comments start coming out, that's a pretty good indication that the shit's hitting the fan.

When I get to a post with over 40 comments, I tend to read comments from the people who's views I'm interested in, and leave the rest. It doesn't always stop me from commenting though, I guess it does depend on the topic.

5:42 AM PST  
Blogger Anne said...

Well, Rosie, I like you and I hope you'll continue to come to my blog and comment *G*
I don't post on a whole lot of blogs, but I do read them to try and keep up with what's going on. I usually only post on blogs of people I feel I fit in with... though if there is a topic I have an opinion on, sometimes I'll post, depending on what it is and where it is.

8:58 AM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I'm the same way-I'm visiting all my regular haunts, but just not commenting.

4:14 PM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

I figure people will ask me to stop with the commenting at some point. Like you said, half the time I'm writing a comment that is longer than the post.

I actually stay away from blogs with huge comments - I used to visit the Smart Bitches everyday and don't go there at all now. I only go to Dear Author when someone I visit says 'hey, go look'. I think these types of blogs make me feel inferior - especially when they are posting more than once a day!

CindyS (should be lurking and yet, can't keep her yap shut)

10:53 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Karen, if a subject really interests me I'll do the same and scroll through for names of people who I "know" and whose thoughts I care about reading.


Anne, of course I'm still coming by your blog! My leaving comments is all that has changed. Having said that I will probably proceed to comment on every post. Me too, I read alot of blogs to keep up with what is going on especially for book buzz and reader reviews.


Ames, you are always good about commenting here and I'm grateful and appreciative...always.


Cindy I love your comments because you are always so honest and genuine. BTW, while I still go to Smart Bitches site I do feel really dumb there sometimes especially when they get all literary and high falutin'. For what it's worth, I don't think it is intentional, I think they really are Smart Bitches and it shows.

I'm proud of them and many of the issues they raise and discuss even when it sometimes goes over my head.

1:20 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Oh no, I know they are all well intentioned! I just feel like I need to be doing more if I'm at their blog more often - this way I can be lazy ;)

CindyS

9:16 PM PST  
Blogger Holly said...

I generally don't read/comment on blogs that have massive amounts of comments. Not unless the issue is such that I just can't stay away.

And I suppose the reason for my post the other day was...well, I feel sort of guilty. My blog is a sort of journal of my life. And so I continue to update it (most of the time) even when I don't have time to bloghop or leave comments. But there are some truly amazing people here in blogland, and I start feeling bad that I haven't visited them in awhile. Especially if they visit me often.

My own form of neurosis(sp?, I suppose. But don't worry if you don't comment, Rosie. It happens to the best of us.

6:12 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

ditto :)

9:37 PM PST  
Blogger Nikki said...

I feel the same way. I don't usually post if there are many comments--someone always says what I want to say.

12:11 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Zeek, I read the posts too, sometimes I'm late to the party though and my comments would be moot.

Cindy, I didn't take it your original comments as anything but well intentioned. I was just agreeing with you and saying that I'm glad someone is doing what they do.

Holly, well chickadee you started all this and it seems we are all relieved to know that we can take a break from comments and not feel like we are abandoning our cyber friends.

Lori and Nikki, thanks for commenting here? : ) Sometimes (alot lately) when there's a hot issue I just want to say "Yeah! Me too!"

Lori

Nikki

5:50 AM PST  
Anonymous Penile Implant in India said...

That was a VERY interesting one! Seriously interesting.

2:39 AM PDT  
Anonymous Dr. Sanjay Gogoi said...

That was a VERY interesting one! Seriously interesting.

1:46 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home