A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, November 21, 2005

The Book that Broke the Block!


TA-DAH!!! This is the book that I culled from the ever expanding TBR pile. I pulled it out on a whim for something light to read.

Normally I hate, loathe, detest anyone mentioning the word "cute" when associated with a book. It's an automatic pass for me. I don't usually like the "oh it was a cute, sweet, funny story" type of a book. I like my characters slightly flawed...not perfect. But I have to admit "cute" is a word that comes to mind with this book.

However, having said that fatal word...I hope it doesn't put you off like it ordinarily would me. What is great about this book is that both people are flawed and yet turn out to be right for each other. Yeah, I know it's been written before, but I think the snappy dialogue between the characters and particularly their internal dialogue makes this book a worthwhile read.

I came to be an Erin McCarthy fan quite by accident. She won a writing contest by Lori Foster and got published. Okay, call me a cynic, but I thought either she was a ringer or the best of some mediocre submissions. Sorry Ms. McCarthy! Anyway, I picked up a couple of her books at the used book store and recently bought PREGNANCY TEST new and really enjoyed it.

Have you ever had the hots for someone...or been infactuated and every time you were around that person you were so nervous and anxious that you did something embarassing? Enter surgical resident Josie Adkins who has a bad case of the dropsies every time she is in the presence of Dr. Houston Hayes, a rising star surgeon who just happens to be her mentor. How many times can you drop a scalpel before they drop you from the surgical rotation altogether?

While the story has it's funny, and even bittersweet moments there is an underlying sexual tension. How much and how often they should give into it is part of the dilemma. They both start out thinking that a one nighter might be the ticket to relieve the sexual tension and put things in perspective. It's amusing to me in life, and this book, how people will rationalize almost anything to get some nooky!

It's one of those mysteries of life why this book did the trick, but it did. The reading drought is over! I also read and enjoyed Christine Feehan's new book, but it didn't grab me the way this one did. For spicier fare I read two books from EC. I liked Annie Windsor's THROWBACK and the second book in the Fallon series by Jory Strong.

Can't believe it's been a week since I posted anything. That's the longest I've gone without posting since I started this page.

Karen's (link on sidebar) got a beautiful new page done up. Under her new profile comments she says she doesn't like wankers. Well, Karen I don't either as a rule, but I do have a quick update about my countdown to my job being done which involves a bit of a wank...so I beg your indulgence everyone!

The great candidate for my job didn't pass the background check. Yikes!!!! Of course we aren't allowed to know what it was that prevented his approval, but I can say...WTF? I'm beginning to think fate conspires against me leaving this job.

Sure, you can say, "You gave your notice moron! Move on!" My dilemma is that I promised to train someone. Currently no one else in the joint knows how. The flaw in my thinking was believing they'd hire someone and that I would be doing the training on a consulting basis about 8 hours a week for maybe a month. Now they're back to square one. So next, I guess I have to give them a deadline for a new hire because otherwise I'll never get out of that place!

There, wanking is officially over. For now I'm on vacation this week. I'm going to go see what else I can dig out of my TBR pile! BTW, have you caught Jennifer Crusie's latest blog. Funny
!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home