A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Can we talk about books?


Books in Winter by Jessie Wilcox Smith


I've been tagged for a book meme by
KristieJ and I decided what the heck I'll give it a whirl. Although I have to confess I did some estimating with my book count because I didn't take them all off the shelves to count. There are just too damn many to move. K? But if I erred it was on the conservative side I didn't round up.

1. Total number of books I own: Just me? Uh, 2302. Guess I don't have to worry about having something to read when I'm old...right?


2. Last book I bought: COMING UNDONE by Susan Andersen


3. Last book I read: AGNES AND THE HITMAN by Bob Mayer and Jennifer Crusie


4. Five books that mean a lot to me: This one is hard. The most I can say is that just for today these are the five books I'd choose. Tomorrow I might choose a different five books.

a. FAREWELL THE STRANGER by Saliee O'Brien. My first romance. A book found in my grandparents basement. I talked all about it here.

b. OVER THE EDGE by Suzanne Brockmann. This is special for a weird reason. In the book terrorists take over a plane. I finished this book the night of September 10, 2001. Just two weeks before we'd seen a repeat on 60 minutes about this guy Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. When 9/11 happened the first thing I said to GG was it was terrorists and I bet it was that Bin Laden guy. The primary love story isn't what resonated with me it was that Suzanne Brockmann had probably written the book a year (or more) earlier and captured the political times of the world we live in and the men and women who fight against terrorism.

c. SHADES OF TWILIGHT by Linda Howard. I just love the characters Roanna Davenport and Webb Tallant. It's about family, betrayal, dynastys. It's one of the few books I own that I've re-read more than once. I could name a couple of other of Howard's books, but I picked this one to represent them all.

d. JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte. I remember reading this and thinking that everyone deserves to be loved.

e. EXODUS and MILA 18 by Leon Uris. I mentioned MILA 18 before in a meme because this book was very powerful when I read it. These books were written about Jews after the WWII when they were trying to establish a home and country in Israel (Exodus) and about the Polish Jews resistance in the Warsaw ghetto (MILA 18). The books gave history a human face and made it real to me. I cried my eyes out.


5. Tag 5 people. I hate tagging people. I never know who to pick...but I always like reading what other people write. So if you read this and want to do it...please do. How's that?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Well now I feel really, really good about my TBR mountain! You and KristieJ put my almost 900 to shame!

I got tagged with this one too. Should really get a post ready for tomorrow.....

7:05 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Great answer :D Now the real question is: how many of those books you own are in the TBR pile? LOL :P also, how did you find Agnes and the Hitman? I'm still waiting for my copy, grrr :( Oh, and I hope you had a nice week-end.

5:33 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy that's total books owned. I'd be on medication if Ihad that many in my TBR. Talk about anxiety. Holy crap!

Nath I liked AGNES & THE HITMAN. Definitely funnier than DON'T LOOK DOWN. Like I said in my previous post edgier too. My TBR is in the 150 to 200 range. I looked for my scrap paper to see what I actually counted, but couldn't find it, so you get my estimate. :)

6:48 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love memes. I'll do it but it's going to go up on Friday. Already have posts slotted for the week up until then.

Makes for a nice easy friday post.

I'd say my TBR pile is probably half the books I own, though. Around 1000, easy. And sad thing is I just gave away a ton of books I haven't read. They looked good when I picked them up but never was moved to read them. Figure if I've owned them for more than two years without reading them, it's not going to happen. :P

7:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

I'm sending Todd over here. You make my give or take 100 books in the TBR pile look like nothing.

Nice meme!!

8:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

LOL - don't you have a spread sheet of them? I'd be so lost without mine. In fact one wasn't enough. That's why I also joined LibraryThing.
And I love seeing the meaningful books that we read.

8:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Shiloh, I love reading other people's memes. I'll be looking to see what you write. I don't feel so bad about my TBR now

Jen, see? It's all relative. Send Todd on over.

Zeek, MILA 18 is great. Let me know if you read it what you think.

Kristie, I have a spread sheet of the books I've read but I've only started keeping it last year. I've been reading and collecting for 30 years. So, you can see I'm behind. I keep telling myself I'm going to list all my books, but I've never gotten around to it. One of these days...

9:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home