A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I'll take 'Quotable Quotes' for $100 Alex...

Abraham Lincoln said:

"You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time."

Only I'm going to replace the word 'deceive' with 'please'. So my version goes like this:

You may please all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time.

Why you might ask? Well, I need to keep reminding myself that I just can't please every one. Since I'm the eldest in my family I frequently plan family gatherings or events. The most recent one is a trip to Las Vegas to celebrate two people turning 40 in September, one turning 30 in September, one turning 21 in October and one turning 50 in November. Lots of milestone birthdays to celebrate in a short time period.

The 21-year old is none other than my little Beanie Boy. So he's bringing his girlfriend and Shmoo is bringing his girlfriend and I'm paying for two rooms. Which is significant not all to what I'm talking about but is on my mind a great deal as I budget for the Great American Birthday trip to Las Vegas. So on with the show and all that...

To give you an idea of the size of this crowd I call a family, here's a picture of us at my 50th birthday.
That's a little more than half of us. We've had two marriages, one engagement, and 3 move-ins and 6 babies born since then. As a matter of fact, one of my nephew's is expecting his first baby that weekend and won't be able to attend even though his brother is the one turning 30. Our current head count which includes my Dad, siblings, spouses, nieces, nephews, their spouses and the great nieces and nephews totals 59 people.



(Click picture to see enlarged)

Anyway, 26 of us are going to be in Las Vegas to celebrate all the birthdays with yours truly doing the coordinating. All I can say is that it's a good thing I like lists. As you can imagine it's a nightmare trying to find rooms in one place that meet the criteria of the wide range in age and family needs, but I finally got a list of choices made up and sent out to everyone today.

Now I'm working on finding the right show and place to eat dinner when we go in early November. I'm leaning toward the Cirque du Soleil BEATLES:LOVE show which is at the Mirage. Has anybody out there seen it? We thought it would appeal to the broad spectrum of people attending from age 17 (Shmoo) to 76 (my Dad).

What about places to eat? Anybody know a place that's just to die for? My brother is all hotsy totsy to try the TAO Restaurant at the Venetian. It's Chinese and is just like the famous TAO restaurant in NYC.

This is a once in a life time sort of trip GG and I want to do for Beanie and it's great there will be other family members there with something to celebrate as well. We should all have lots of fun. Any help and suggestions are VERY welcome.

Trust me you'll be hearing more on this.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger alcoment said...

Good luck with that! I can't make any recomendations but I can empathise. I'm the one at work who organises all the work trips and nights out. Trying to find something that keeps everyone happy is interesting at times and I haven't succeeded yet. Plus, that's nothing on the scale of what you're having to do! Look forward to hearing how you get on, sounds like it'll be an excellent time though.

Loved the picture of your family. I thought my family was big, compared to yours, it's not!

3:19 AM PDT  
Blogger Leya said...

Good luck And have fun!:D

4:17 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Wow Rosie, you're crazier than me! LOL :P and that's a huge family, your son is pretty lucky that so many of his family is going to be able to attend :P I can't make suggestions however, since I've never been to Vegas. However, the Cirque du Soleil show sounds promising, because although not everyone like the Beattles, everyone knows about them :D

and you know, you're absolutely right, you cannot please all ppl at all time.

5:01 AM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

No suggestions, but I wish I was part of your family!!!

What a lot of work for you, but I know you'll have a blast!

10:20 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Oh man, coming from a big family myself, it's a good thing you're organized. LOL I've never been, so sorry I can't offer suggestions. :P

1:22 PM PDT  
Blogger dancechica said...

Sounds like this will be a trip to remember esp. for a 21st birthday. That’s awesome. Sometimes I wish I had a big family like that. It seems like it'd be fun. Good luck with the planning (sorry I have no recs to offer, lol).

3:35 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Alcoment, I'm sure I'll continue to wank about this when in all reality I'm pretty excited and happy about the trip. Too bad so much organization has to go into it beforehand.

Leya, thanks for stopping by and commenting. We always have fun when we are together because we are all hams.

Nath, one of the few advantages of being oldest is also being bossy. I try to give choices but if things get too crazy I just make a decision and fortunately everyone usually is okay with it. BTW, Cirque seems to be a happy choice. Hooray! One problem solved.

Jenster, yeah, my family is pretty swell. I love 'em even when they drive me nuts. :)

Ames, I sense a list maker just waiting to be born. :P Your day is coming little grasshopper!

DC, I'd be a liar if I didn't say when I was younger I used to wish I came from a smaller family, but as I get older I appreciate each and every one of them more and more.

8:17 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

If I had read this post first I would have known you weren't leaving until November. Well done with the camouflage - I would have sent the 'hit' to the wrong part of the country ;)

So many things fall to the eldest and my, what a huge family you have! I'm not the eldest in the family (my dad is) but I'm loud so I tend to get my way. Unless I get out numbered and it's rare the others remember they have voting power ;)

Meant to say that Holly goes to Vegas lots (I think - I get LA and LV confused but I'm Canadian and must be forgiven) so she might have some ideas for you.

CindyS

4:36 AM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

What are the odds of that, Rosie...meeting up with you again in Jenster's blog comments? LOL...it IS a small world. Looks like your party was a smashing success. I still marvel at that...but then, I STILL marvel at how I learned you knew my brother in law Sal before I did, too, and how we realized it was the same guy at Olive Garden that time!

1:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Becky, I loved my 50th birthday. My Mom died in January 2004 and it was a tough year without her and I wasn't looking forward to my birthday OR Christmas that year. My siblings and husband surprised me and it was just the best thing ever.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. That Jenster is one special lady, isn't she?

10:04 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home