A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Tea in the OC

New and Recycled Romances in Costa Mesa is one of my favorite used books stores ever. While it sells all manner of books it is very romance reader friendly. When my brother worked down in Newport Beach we worked together on a series of short stories for over a year. We had delusions of getting published but the project ended up being a labor of love more than anything else. Someday I'll talk about that and maybe even link to one of the stories.

Anyway, I never visit any place for very long without looking for a good used book store. You just never know what treasures you are going to find. I've had a list of books I'm looking for in my purse for the past 20 years. Unreal.

So I guess it's been about 18 years since I first walked into Toni's store. A friend gave her 700 books to start the store and Toni was off to the races. For many years I'd stop in about once a month or so when I was in the area. In the 90's Toni started having her author teas. So much fun. But then GG had pacemaker surgery, Mom got sick, my brother got sick and my trips to the used book store in Costa Mesa just disappeared.

I was delighted to get my invite to a tea commemorating her 20 years of business. I realized that she's been in business the length of Beanie's life. Wow! I immediately emailed Wendy and asked her if she'd like to meet at the tea. As it happens, in conversation when we first met and were discussing UBS that rock Toni's store came up in conversation for both of us. Freaky fun coincidence, isn't it? Anyway, I was glad when Wendy was up for going too.

The authors present were Meryl Sawyer, Mary Castillo, Brenda Novak, Cheryl Holt, Sylvia Day, Sarah McKerrigan, and Lauren Royal.

Besides Meryl Sawyer and Cheryl Holt I have to admit I haven't read these particular author's books. Meryl Sawyer's MIDNIGHT IN MARRAKESH is on my keeper shelf. I haven't read any of her suspense recently, but I have lots of fond memories of MIM.
If you've read this blog for any length of time you know I've read Cheryl Holt. She's a guilty pleasure (yes, I have lots of those) but I have a sort of love/hate relationship with her books. Some of them I love and some of them I...well you get the drift. There just doesn't seem to be an in-between for me. Cheryl has a new book coming out in September that, knowing myself as I do, will be buying.

I bought Sylvia Day's book PLEASURES OF THE NIGHT to read in anticipation of the tea, but alas I didn't get it read before going. Bummer. BUT, I did buy another copy while I was there and I will be giving away a signed copy of the book. Due to Ms. Day's sweetness and generosity the book giveaway includes a shiny RED Sylvia Day book bag and poster.

Look. See? Yeah, it's kind of blurry, but you get the idea, right?




Here's the lovely Ms. Day...



What do you have to do to win? Nothing. I'll just put everyone who comments on my blog this week into a hat and have one of the child units draw a name on Saturday August 18th and I'll post the winner on Sunday. The more you post the more chances you have to win. Yes, even you dear ones in Canada may enter. What's the cost of postage among blogging buddies?

Here's a few more photos. Our dear Super Librarian has a friend who loves all things Fabio. So we snagged this pillow off of one of Toni's chairs and took a picture for Wendy to send on. That Fabio...he's everywhere, isn't he?


I think everyone had an enjoyable time. Toni and her staff are so enthusiastic and fun and it's contagious. Everyone seemed pretty happy with the results.

More photos.



L to R: Meryl Sawyer, Mary Castillo, Brenda Novak's absolutely gorgeous daughter, Brenda Novak and Cheryl Holt





A look at the ladies under the tent. To the left that gentleman is Toni's husband Don who took photos and helped with the goody give away.




The lovely lady in the hat is Toni. She's standing between Cheryl Holt (L) and Lauren Royal who's blocked *sigh* by the tent poles.

Of course Wendy and I talked our heads off and were giving recs...but only to people who asked us. :) Yes I left with a bag of books. This post has gotten so long I'll post about the lastest stash and show you my newly organized TBR loaded into five rubbermaid tubs.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Awwwwww...that sounds awesome. Luvvvvvv the Fabio pillow...NOT! LOL He is what kept me from reading romance novels for so many years!

Oh, yeah, I tagged you. :P

12:31 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day. DOn't you love it when you find a bookstore that keeps coming up with the goods?
PS. What did you think about RM the other night? I was a little underwhelmed. Janet went off her nut but did she go get her child? Oh, and I realized something: don't you have to lodge a birth certificate at the hospital? In which case, wouldn't the baby have a name? Hmmm.

12:44 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jodi, Fabio was never my cuppa either. And as for your tag. I don't have a middle name. For real, I got gypped!

Gabrielle, even after not seeing Toni for years I couldn't believe how upbeat, happy and enthusiastic she is about her store and romance books and readers in particular. Lots of fun.

I posted about the whole RM thing on your blog. Oy!

1:46 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I really can't stand Fabio, but my friend is just ga-ga over him. I don't get it, but regardless of this fascination she really is a nice person :)

1:47 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, people seem to fall into two distinct camps. Love him or hate him. All I'll say is I don't love him. The people who do love him...still? Yikes! :)

1:50 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

So how come you didn't invite me to come along huh? I'm so jealous now. Good to 'see' Wendy again.
I'm trying to think of some kind of comment about sitting on Fabio's face - but I'm not sure I want to get that down and dirty :-0
And did they really have tea and something like cookies?

3:04 PM PDT  
Blogger Cathy M said...

Yeah, my DH still doesn't get that getting new books is almost as good as eating really good chocolate. Would love to read Sylvia's book.

3:44 PM PDT  
Blogger Mailyn said...

I'm glad you had fun! We never get any authors I like down here. Except Stephenie Meye but I didn't like ECLIPSE so why bother going to the party? Besides, she won't even talk to the group or anything, just sign copies. Ugh.

I loved Sylvia's anthology BAD BOYS AHOY but I couldn't stand her next book so I'm not a fangirl anymore. LOL.

4:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Kristie:
Well fly on out to California and we'll hit all the hot spots! And no comment about sitting on Fabio's face. Tee Hee.

4:16 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish we had something like that around here. Sounds like a great time and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

7:33 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, you now fall under the "family" clause and never need a formal invite. You can come along any time. :)

Cathy, thanks for stopping by. GG is pretty good about the book buying. We agreed on a budget and as long as I stick to it he's good. Your name's in the basket for the book. Good luck!

Mailyn, trust you to tell it like it is! :) Does that mean you don't want to be included in the drawing?

Wendy, if we take Kristie to ALL the hot spots that means she has to stay for a while...doesn't it?

Scooper, well I wouldn't exactly call it close by as I did have to drive a bit to get there, but close enough to make a day trip and lots of fun.

11:32 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous... man, I love Meryl Sawyer. She's one of my keepers.

8:11 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Shi, Meryl is quite a character. She's a regular at Toni's and is at almost all her teas. What's your favorite book of hers? Next time I go I'll get one signed for you.

8:54 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

What a great way to spend an afternoon!! Luckily for me, Bob gets it, if only because it means I don't harm about the Home Depot bills coming in ;)

Oh and I think that was Kristie's subtle way of asking for a Fabio pillow ;)

CindyS

10:13 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, the only thing that would make it better (the tea) would be if all the people from our little circle of bloggers could be together somewhere. Wouldn't that just kick a$$?

11:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Nikki said...

That looked like so much fun! I love Toni's store. I have to drive almost 2 hours to get there but I always find something that is a real treasure. Toni has recommended so many authors that became autobuy authors for me.

I love her little dog!

That Fabio pillow is too funny! Her bathroom is full of other ummmmmm pictures and funny cards full of beefcakes. When my son was young (of course he always had to go to the bathroom after that drive) he would go in there and I would always think "Oh no!! Is he going to ask me why there are half naked men plastered all over the walls??" Never asked, not once! Now at 12---he stays home with Dad!

I love Sylvia Day and Cheryl Holt. Sometimes I get a little ticked at her characters, though. She really is a guilty pleasure!

8:15 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home