A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

That was the week that was...

What a week! It all started with some testosterone madness last Sunday. I should have known then that it was going to be a week for the record books because there was so much posturing by the males in the household you'd have thought lives were at stake. It was nothing a woman wouldn't have fixed with a little retail therapy, but the guys in my house, after yelling and cussing, went running, beat their drums,and played their music really, REALLY loud. As Holly says, sometimes boys are dumb.

Of course the rest of the week highlights include car repairs, less sleep than usual, no RESCUE ME on Wednesday night, and very little reading. Ever have one of those weeks when you feel like you're running even in your sleep? It was sort of like that. Of course now that it's Saturday and I can sleep past 4:30 a.m., the time I've had to be up to take GG to his car pool drop off, I awake up at 6:00 a.m. Hope that goes away quick.

Fortunately, things seem to have settled back down. The car is fixed. Thank goodness. Also, the fly wheel (referred to as a "thingy" in my previous post) on the car didn't have to be replaced after all so the bill was $200 less than expected. Yippee skippy doo-dah day! That was some very welcome news.

I love our mechanic. Not that GG has any real competition, but a good mechanic, well they're not easy to come by. Our mechanic is such a good guy. Now some of you might be rolling your eyes and thinking how naive I am, but seriously this guy is awesome. He actually tries to fix your car without jacking up the price. Really. I know it's hard to believe there is such a thing as an honest mechanic, but I'm telling you our guy is aces. Since he'd already quoted for the fly wheel (and ordered it too) he could have gone ahead and just replaced it. Instead they were able to clean up and use the existing part and we saved $200. Do you know many mechanics that would do that? Call me crazy, but I'd give up my hair dresser of 20 years before I'd give up our mechanic. I'm just sayin'.


On Thursday we got some more good (and very welcome) news. Beanie got called to interview for a job he's been trying to get since March. If he gets it he will be making twice per hour what he's making now. The interview went well yesterday and they've already set him up for the 3-day training classes pending the results of his drug test. Halleluia! He will be able to add to his car savings more quickly and get wheels again. Beanie having wheels again just can't happen soon enough. Of course, this job is further away and it will be challenging getting him to and from until he has the new car. We're just taking it one day at a time right now and basking in this good news.

Finally I got some decent reading time last night and I'm almost done with AGNES AND THE HITMAN. It's sort of a madcap, screwball comedy with dead bodies. It's funnier than DON'T LOOK DOWN and I think a bit edgier. Don't take that to mean dark and dangerous, I just mean edgier than any other book I've read with Jennifer Crusie's name on it. I've enjoyed it and would recommend it as a light, fluffy and fun read.

Gotta go now. GG made me breakfast and I'm going to go eat and finish up the book before I start my day. Who knows, I might even take a nap at 7 a.m.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

aww, he made you breakfast?

Did you get a nap?

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Agnes and the Hit Man, but I didn't hear such great thinks about Don't Look Down. I haven't read either.

Sorry you had one of those weeks. I say you buy a new pair of shoes...just because. :P

Much love,
H

9:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks Holly. Breakfast was yummy. I think I'll keep my guy. Nap? Didn't happen. My nephew called and is in town for a soccer tournament. End result? Much family coming over for impromptu BBQ = no nap. Of course, I'm cleaning my bedroom and bathroom right NOW instead of napping. *wink, wink*

I like how you think. New shoes? Have to give that some serious thought.

11:48 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm glad the bill came in less than expected and I'm with you, a mechanic that doesn't try to hose you is worth his weight in gold!

Sorry the men of the house were not in good spirits. Bob has maybe 2 bad days a year and they aren't allowed to be on the same day as when I'm cracking up ;)

And yeah, you got a few keepers in the house ;)

cindyS

2:03 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Oh my, your week sounded awful, but at least, you got a couple of good news + a good read :P Hope everything's going to be better this week.

5:38 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy GG hardly ever loses his temper, but Shmoo is really good at pushing his buttons. Last Sunday all the grunting around here really was over the top. Thank goodness we are back in calm seas because I was ready to hose 'em down!

Nath amazing what some sleep, a repaired car and a good book will do to a lousy week. You are always so sweet. Thanks for your concern.

6:52 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home