A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Flare Up

Warning...I'm about to do a bit of a whine. You won't hurt my feelings if you run for your life right now.

I'll make this short and sweet but after feeling pretty fabulous for several months my rheumatoid arthritis is apparently in a flare period. I say "apparently" because I try to talk myself out of it and tell myself I'm just having a bad day, or I didn't get enough sleep last night, or my latest reason is that I've over done the swimming. But since the weekend I've just been achy all over all my major joints are sore and swollen. My back and ribs feel like someone has been playing the xylophone on them.

Consequently, I feel tired and cranky. GG is so sweet to me. He made me hot tea last night. Earlier he told me I was crazy to sit in front of the computer when he would make me a nice hot water bottle for my back and tuck me up in bed with tea. My boys know the signs when I'm feeling bad. Shmoo asked me right after school yesterday if I was feeling okay because I was so quiet. Obviously I'm not the reserved contemplative sort of Mom. I'm the Nosy Nora loud "Wass Up!" sort of Mom. This could be why Shmoo tells his friends I'm crazy. Maybe?

I'll probably read this later and wish I'd shut my yapper. What the heck. That's what 'Edit' is for. Am I right?

Completely off subject and my whine fest... Shmoo was home yesterday afternoon with a new girl. Not "the girlfriend". I'm not sooooo out of the loop that I don't know that dudes and babes can be friends. There's a lot of that going around. I'm not completely clueless. However, I still know the difference between friends and, well you know, the other stuff. And believe me, there was plenty of the other stuff going on yesterday. So, I'm thinking maybe that's why he's not going to Homecoming with the GF who goes to the other high school. The cute little chickadee who was here yesterday goes to his school.

Since I'm posting this at midnight I haven't had a chance to have a talk with Shmoo on ethical behavior. It won't be the first conversation we've had on the appropriate way to treat a young lady, but I want to be sure he's not being a jerk to the other girl. That would not make me happy at all. ::sigh:: Maybe I can talk GG into having that chat. I'm feeling so ornery that a conversation with the ever-contrary Shmoo might not be a good idea right now.

I think I'll take GG's advice for once. But don't tell him it was his influence okay? Besides, I managed to make it through and write a post didn't I? Bed, a hot water bottle and tea sound really, really good about now.

I'm not proof reading this. God knows what it says... See you on the flip side.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

Rosie ~ Please don't edit. These are your feelings and you're entitled to them. We all have days when we're not quite as "rosie" as we usually are :-)

9:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

oh Rosie, I'm sorry you're feeling less than stellar lately. Do you have something you can take to help with the worst of it (an anti-inflammatory or something)?

Hmm, call me nosy, but I'm really curious about Schmoo and his new girl. It's like daytime drama. :P

Hey, on a more positive note, only a week until our meet up! YAY! :)

10:09 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie,

I hope you'll feel better soon. Is your arthritis weather or stress-related?

I always wondered what the mom was feeling when she suspects her son of cheating... well I hope everything will go fine too with Schmoo. and LOL, keep us updated :D Holly's right, it feels like watching daytime drama :D

11:34 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Good luck with Shmoo! Not to scare the crap out of you - but it's been my experience that teenage boys don't realize they're being inconsiderate until they get a taste of their own medicine. Seriously, I've seen it happen more than once in my short lifetime.

The arthritis sounds hairy! Hope you feel better soon. Probably the cooler weather setting it off....

1:01 PM PDT  
Blogger alcoment said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling so great. Hope it eases soon.

Good luck with talking to Shmoo!

1:31 PM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

Awww...what a nice hubby. Kudos for talking to your son about such things...lots of moms wouldn't bat an eye! Your future daughter-in-law (whoever she is) will thank you, I'm sure!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

2:46 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Aaaahhh - hope you're feeling better soon. This is your big weekend isn't it????

And boys *sigh* what can I say. Having two myself I'm often on the girls side. I learned early not to become to emotionally attached to my oldest sons girlfriends because he went through so many. My youngest is different and I did become close. But then he too has broken up with both of them (well with the second it was more on her end and they are still discussing getting back together) Overall they are both considerate - but ya - I hear you.

4:09 PM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

I'm so sorry about your flare up. But even when you're not feeling your best you still write a great post!

You're such a good mom. I can tell because your kids are so sweet to you.

Being a teenager and trying to figure out the whole dating thing is tough. Schmoo is lucky to have a mom and dad like you to help him through it.

BTW - Keep us posted!!

GG sounds like a doll!

5:08 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, thanks for the kind words. I don’t really think we have to worry about me not sharing my woes too much. :) I just don’t want to go overboard. It’s like knowing that if you let go and let yourself cry (or whine) you won’t be able to stop.

Holland, as a matter of fact I do take an anti-inflammatory and another med to slow the T-cells from attacking my body. Like I said I’ve been feeling great and then wham-o! Flares are just a fact of life with RA.

P.S. Stay tuned for more Shmoo…with teenagers there’s ALWAYS more drama.

Nath, nah, weather and stress can add to the flare once they occur, but in and of themselves they aren’t “supposed” to be the cause. Although, my in-house M.D., GG, thinks stress is the culprit of all things evil in my life. That’s cuz he’s a boy and they always want to pin point the cause of a problem so they can beat it up.

Wendy, I hear you about adolescent males. I have 5 brothers. Unfortunately I know way more than I want to know about how boys/men can be inconsiderate. Since Shmoo has started his senior year there has been nothing but drama. It’s exhausting living in his orbit. Thank God one episode will be over with the Homecoming dance tomorrow night.

Alcoment, thanks for the good wishes for my health and with Shmoo. I should hang a sign out front. PRAYERS. KARMA. GOOD THOUGHTS. ALL ARE WELCOME HERE.

Becky, talks with Shmoo are always interesting. It’s like mining. Sometimes you just get dirty and come home empty handed. Other times you strike a rich vein and go home with a smile on your face. You just never know…

Kristie, are you thinking about our SoCal blogger get together? That’s next Saturday and I can’t wait!! We’ll probably talk our heads off. It should be lots of fun.

As for my boys and their girlfriends…while I haven’t always thought the girls my boys brought home were the right fit for the boys, all the girls have been great. I’ve been so relieved and happy especially since all the girls have been pretty articulate and intelligent. That was huge. The rest of it is mostly sitting back and waiting and watching. Beanie is pretty serious about his GF. Young as they are I think this might be it for him. Time will tell.

Jenster, yeah going through the hazards of teenage dating isn’t easy and there are so many rules that kids impose for themselves now days. Unbelievable and mind boggling.

Of course, when you mention GG being a doll you start a conversation I can really warm up to. I could rhapsodize until you roll your eyes and cry “Enough already!” I just adore him.

7:09 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home