A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It goes like this...

Reading has been going pretty well. I knocked out the EC Sheedy book KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE and the single author anthology SUGAR & SPICE by Leda Swann. I'm currently finishing THE SERPENT PRINCE by Elizabeth Hoyt.

For some reason the first time I peeked into THE SERPENT PRINCE it didn't really snag me like it has since I've picked it up to read again. Must have been the mood I was in because I'm really enjoying it second time in. I do love a well written historical. The best thing Ms. Hoyt has going for her, in my ever so humble opinion, is her ability to write a woman true to the historical times she lives in and have the character still be original and fresh. That's not easy to do especially when one has read as many books about 19th century England as I have.

I've skimmed a couple of reviews for LOVER UNBOUND by JR Ward. It hasn't deterred me from wanting to buy a copy and read it. I'm also looking forward to snatching up Madeline Hunter's LESSONS OF DESIRE next week. Then before you know it October is here and THE COURTESAN'S DAUGHTER by Claudia Dain and MINE 'TIL MIDNIGHT by Lisa Kleypas will be out October 2nd. Isn't it great that there's always something to look forward to when you read?

Finally in a bit of puzzling contrariness, as over the freakin' moon as I am to have the ARC of EVERMORE by Lynn Viehl I've barely cracked it. I don't want to start it because I don't want it to be over. If that's not nuts I don't know what is.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Oh, I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to start a book because you don't want to finish it! I sometimes slow way down and only read one or two pages at a time at the end so the book lasts longer, lol. I'm like that with my Terry Pratchett novels.
*sigh*

12:27 AM PDT  
Blogger Casee said...

I just saw Jane's review of LU. I didn't read it, but I saw the grade. It doesn't deter me from reading it, but I usually find her reviews to be right on.

I know what you mean about Evermore. That happens to me, too. So it's not weird. *g*

7:12 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

I think it's great that you have time to enjoy reading, esp. after the last couple of weeks which were crazy :D

the only reason I would buy Lover Unbound is for John... but you know what? I think it's time for me to let the series down, cos I'm only going to get disappoint in my opinion.

I've heard lots of good comments about the Serpent Prince. My question is, how much did you enjoyt he first two? :D

and yeah, it's cool that there's always something to look forward to... the only thing is that some months are more promising than others :D

7:37 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

It's lonely being the only romance reader ALIVE who doesn't read (or get) the J.R. Ward series. I suspect I'll be really bored with reader blogs for the next week or so :)

The only book I'm looking forward to at the moment is The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen. It's in hard cover no less. It came out on Tuesday, but I won't have a chance to get my hands on it until Friday, when I make my weekly Costco run.

8:16 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

Wendy, I'm with you. I don't plan to buy/read LU, so you can visit my blog. LOL

Rosie,
I think TSP by EH just started out slow. It took me several days to get past the first few chapters, then I fell right into the story. I don't think it was just you.

9:32 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sam, I really admire your discipline! Now that's savoring a book. I read about 5 pages of EVERMORE and put it down. If I start reading again I probably won't want to stop.

Casee, I just read Jane's review too. I give her props for not giving too much of the story away and still getting her point across. But, yeah, I'm buying it. I always have to read and see for myself.

Nath, I'm not done with the BDB yet. Although I'm wasn't a big fan of Butch's story just because he was the least interesting of the Brothers to me. Who knows what I'll think after reading LU.

I really liked SERPENT PRINCE. Whether it was a slow start for everyone or not (see Holly's comments) once I got about 60 or so pages in I was really into it. I'd only read THE RAVEN PRINCE previously and I did like it. Fortunately I have THE LEOPARD PRINCE in my TBR and instead of reading EVERMORE like I said I was going to I've started THE LEOPARD PRINCE...that's how much I liked SP.

Wendy, well a few reviews have already been posted. I don't think you have too much to worry about. Besides, Holly's invited you over. :)

Holland, I ended up really, really liking this book. Although Lucy's little trip home to Papa annoyed...at least she wasn't gone more than a couple of days. It seemed a little out of character to me. What did you think?

4:52 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I have Anne Stuart's ARC in my house but like you I just look at the book (and smile) and worry that if I read it now it'll be over!

I've only seen one review of LU - after what she did to Butch I'm not sure she can bring the 'others' stories. That's the problem with series books - the readers become attached to certain characters and unless you stay absolutely true to character then it will become disappointing.

Still, I will read LU to see if it works for me. Hate to give up another author when I'm in the middle of an 'S' (can't say the word!)

About going stag - I remember when it was time for me to go I wanted to go alone while my mother wanted me to with a date. Thing was, I didn't want to spend time 'entertaining' a date - I wanted to just celebrate with those of us who worked our arses off. In the end, I refused to go - I don't regret my decision but I understand why going stag to certain events would be appealing. (This from a woman who can't go anywhere without the hubby ;))

CindyS

11:17 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, I've been wondering if you read your Anne Stuart. Glad to know I'm in good company! :)

Yeah, I think your comments about why Shmoo wants to go stag are spot on. Anyway, they both are okay with it, so it's hard to argue with that.

6:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

OMG! How could I have forgotten about Mine Til Midnoght?! I wonder if Borders will have it early when we're there? That would be awesome - then I could take it with me to Boston on Monday... no plans here to read LU. I haven't read any of the others either.

10:17 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home