A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A day

I had a great day with my guy yesterday. We got up early and did our lap swimming at the new pool across the valley. This is a place we will be able to lap swim year round. Our local rec pool will close the end of September and the place we went yesterday is new. We wanted to check it out to see if it would be worth the 40 minute round trip to keep swimming. It turned out to be a very well done facility especially since it's a community rec pool. To sign up was only $2 and it's $2 per session unless you sign up for 15 and then the price drops to $24.95. We think it's a pretty darn good deal and are happy we took the time to check it out.

After a fairly decent workout we decided to hit Starbies. Not that you particularly wanted to know but I feel compelled to share with you that I swam 36 lengths yesterday morning. A new recent high. No where near what I did in my 20s, but I'm pretty happy. Anyway, we both had a latte but took a pass on the bakery stuff because it looked a little sad. Anybody else notice that the more stuff Starbucks adds to the food menu the scarier some of it looks?

Once we were home I was lamenting having to do chores instead of enjoying the beautiful day. You don't have to hit GG with a sledge hammer. (Well, truthfully sometimes you do, but not yesterday). He decided to take Shmoo and I out to breakfast. We didn't leave Beanie home like Cinderella. He worked graveyard and was sleeping. My sister, who was out doing her own work out, called and joined us. We had a nice leisurely meal and were able to chat and catch up while GG and Shmoo were off in their own world and conversation.

Here's the good part. When we got home again we set Shmoo and Beanie (who was awake again) to doing a few of their regular weekly chores. I was still whining about not being in the mood to do mine. My sweetheart just smiled at me with those dimples of his and said, "okay". It surprised me because even though I'm the list maker he's the focused on-task guy. It made me very happy when he said it, I can tell you that.

No big adventure ensued. We just drove a bit to a place where we could walk and window shop. I hit quite a few mens' stores looking for a black and silver vest Shmoo wants to wear to the Homecoming dance. I found one. $75. Didn't buy it. Call me crazy but $75 for a vest he'll probably only wear once? I think not. I told Shmoo about it this morning and he wasn't disappointed at all. In fact he confirmed he'd probably only wear the vest once. I think he's going to see if he can find one to rent at the tux place.

Yesterday turned out to be a nice slow-mo sort of day spent with GG. During our window shopping we, of course, hit a couple of book stores. I was happy to find EC Sheedy's new book KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE. Then we had a fairly early dinner (did you notice no mention of lunch?) and came home. Once at home both boys were out for the evening. One to work and one on a date. Blissful quiet evening at home only sporadically interrupted by GG's need to know the USC v. Nebraska score.

Of course this means a few more chores to do today and probably a few more shoved into the junk room day otherwise known as my Monday, but having that nice day yesterday was worth it. Don't you just love that sort of unexpected and unplanned day?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger alcoment said...

Sounds like you had a fantsatic day. I love days like that where you just sort of wander around, doing things you really like.

And, yes, some of the Starbucks food does look a little scary. However, I am addicted to their coffee (they must add something to it to draw you back!) and am very partial to one of their muffins!

11:14 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Alcoment, I know that have different food because they buy and stock by region. A few of my favorites have come and gone. My favorite muffin was the zucchini walnut muffin. I loved it! What's yours? Oh, and you are so right about the coffee.

11:22 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

Sounds like a perfect day, Rosie!

1:02 PM PDT  
Blogger alcoment said...

A zucchini walnut muffin? Wow! I'd like to try that. We don't have anything like that in the UK! Some of the pannini's have odd combinations at times (scary when I'm getting my morning latte and am still half asleep!), but the cakes are generally good.

My favourite muffin? A toss up between the apple and cinnamon or the double chocolate. They've just bought out their winter collection here and they have new brownies and cupcakes for me to try!

1:59 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Seriously sounds like a divine week-end Rosie!! I envy you so much :D it's been a while since I've done something with my parents - they're too busy :(

What about reading this week-end?

6:06 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad your finding KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE was part of your great day, Rosie. And I really hope you enjoy the book.

EC Sheedy

10:40 AM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

You're right about the baked goods at Starbucks looking (and tasting) a little sad. The one nearest Lowes seems to have the best, moistest selection in my opinion...but the drive through one out my way...not so good. The new chocolate cinnamon bread isn't bad (you usually can't go wrong with chocolate)...but I agree...they need the Zucchini nut muffins back.

7:21 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Yep, these are the kinds of days that ease the heart. We just had one like that today and it was fantastic. I do love trying new places and Bob kinda took some time from work to take me to lunch at a new place he found along the Grand River. I love being on the water so it was just blissful. The food could have been better but the river itself means I'm going back ;)

cindyS

7:58 PM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

Aren't those great? Oh the hubby and I used to have those sorta lazy days all of the time and then we decided to reproduce. Bye, bye lazy days. Still I wouldn't trade that little rascal for all the lazy days in the world :)

And that crackbucks food? you're right some of it it's just this side of a stomach pumping

7:36 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home