A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

JADED



Off and on there's discussion about whether or not because we read so much we become more difficult to please and jaded. I think this is probably more likely to happen to those of us who read one specific genre almost exclusively.

GG and I were talking about this over the weekend. Since I've been on a reading binge, so has he. In fact he asked me to give him a book to read. Now normally he reads military, courtroom suspense, or westerns. However, he gets a kick out of reading one of my books every now and then. Surprisingly, in the last two weeks he's read DANGEROUS LOVER by Lisa Marie Rice and he just finished FORCE OF NATURE by Suzanne Brockmann. I can't remember his reading two of my books back to back before...ever.

FORCE OF NATURE was the second Brockmann book he's read. He liked the book well enough. He sort of rolled his eyes a bit over Jules and Robin's love story but he wasn't put off by it at all. He wanted more action! Hands down he liked DANGEROUS LOVER better for it's spiciness and the alpha male. My sweet, kind, considerate husband thinks he's an alpha male. Yeah...NO! But let's keep that between us. It makes him happy to believe it and it amuses me to no end.

It's fun hearing his reactions to books because he's a more eclectic reader than I am not to mention a news junkie so he always has an interesting perspective to offer me. Of course, the drawback is I don't think the book has been written that he thinks has too much sex and not enough story. Oy!

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes when we talk amongst ourselves I think we are a little jaded. My theory goes something like this. Because we read such a high volume of books maybe we don't savor and appreciate a book that someone who reads less frequently might. Or, because we read so much we have higher expectations. Either way, those of us who are prolific readers are discriminating and hard graders I think. That's why having a discussion with someone who reads our favorite genre so infrequently is so much fun. And interesting. And, uh...stimulating.

Meanwhile since GG's on a roll he asked me for another book. I wanted to give him THE HOLDING by Claudia Dain because Jane at Dear Author said Ned liked it. But alas my copy is in one of the tubs in the storage shed and way too much work to rescue. So I'm thinking of giving him HIGH NOON by Nora Roberts or CROSSROADS CAFE by Deborah Smith. I don't think he's ready for FAIR
YVILLE by Emma Holly, do you?

What do you guys think? Is there a favorite book of yours that your DH or brother or Dad or best male friend read that I need to be handing over to GG? What would you recommend?

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rosario said...

I think most of us on the bloggosphere are jaded by now, and not just a little, but a whole lot. I'll sometimes read a book I know I would have at least liked well enough a few years ago, but these days, it's just not enough.

4:40 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Well, I do agree with what you said:

Because we read such a high volume of books maybe we don't savor and appreciate a book that someone who reads less frequently might. Or, because we read so much we have higher expectations. Either way, those of us who are prolific readers are discriminating and hard graders I think.

however, i do think that was to be expected and in a way, it's natural. This happens to me everytime I'm anticipating a new book by one of my favorite authors... I can't wait for it and when I read it, I can't help to be disappointed. I know that mnay would like it, but for me it's not enough. The thing is, there are authors out there that keep writing incredible books that we all love and grade well... I don't know.. is it a bad thing? For us yeah, cos that means we'll find kinks and issues with more books, but for the rest of the world, I don't think so...

and it's nice to hear that your DH is reading some of your books :D by the way, what does DH stand for?

4:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Rosario, yeah, I think we have pretty high expectations, but isn't it the greatest feeling in the world when a book really delivers? I love that feeling when I close the cover on a book having read the last page and feel so satisfied and a little sorry the book is over. That's just sublime isn't it?

Nath, I absolutely agree that's totally natural that prolific readers would develop a greater expectation from their favorite genre and authors. It would be odd if we didn't. I just also love to hear the opinion from someone who doesn't read all the time and isn't subconciously comparing the book(s) to a hundred others they've read.

BTW, DH stands for Dear Husband.

5:08 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Oh man I laughed at GG thinking he's an alpha male and you 'ah' not. Men can be such odd and interesting people can't they.
Ron would never try any of my books but I did read him a Stephanie Plum book when I said my sister Lisa liked it because he and Lisa had very similar tastes. And he really liked it. But if he had agreed to give some of them a try, I'm thinking I would have got him to try the JD Robb books.
As for jaded - I don't know if I am or not. I think at times I'm almost too Polyannaish - and almost annoyed that I am - peverse, I know. But I really still like most books I read. They don't seem to have the same impact on me as they did years ago for the most part although the occasional one will still stand out. I put that down to the fact that I've read so many now, whereas the ones I read years ago were still new and fresh - so yea, some of what you say is true.

3:55 PM PDT  
Blogger dancechica said...

I also agree that our reading expectations are increased simply because we read so much. I was telling this to my mom just recently, that I think I’m more critical now because I read more. I remember when I first started reading on a regular basis, I read mostly urban fantasy, and I just couldn’t get enough. I generally liked everything I read—some more than others, but overall I enjoyed everything. And now? *snorts* I rarely come across a book that just wows me or blows me away, anymore. But, like you said, when I DO come across a book like that, it’s an amazing feeling. I just wish that feeling came more frequently than it does. Now, whenever I read a really good book, I don’t want to let it go because I don't want that "reading high" to end. Because I know it’ll be a while before I feel it again. Man, I sound like a druggie. LOL.

6:37 PM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

I think you're onto something with that whole 'prolific reader' vs. infrequent reader theory. I know that when I'm on a 'binge', I just blow through the books...and when I reread them later, I had completely forgotten certain parts. But when I savor a book slowly...I can remember it all. But I think it's great fun to discuss books at any time with any poor sap who will listen.

9:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, I don't think you are Pollyanna-ish. I always feel like you are so genuine and sincere. You also have a knack for translating that in your writing and comments. I really appreciate that about you.

DC, yeah I hate letting go of the good books. All the more reason to spread the word when you read one that really works for you. They really stand out. Yeah we do all sound a little addicted to our reading don't we?

Becky, I've even re-read books and come away with a completely different impression than my original one. GG reading "my books" has been fun. A man's perspective is always interesting.

9:57 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home