A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Further Tales of Shmoo...

We've got a busy day around here today which will be capped off when we send Shmoo off to the Homecoming dance this evening. It seems like every day his plans have changed. Fortunately I have practice with this sort of thing and we waited until last night to let Shmoo know what exactly he was allowed to do and would be doing. Why is it the kids always think all the regular rules for where they can drive, where they can go and what time they have to be home don't apply for a big dance? Shmoo actually asked to stay out until 3 a.m. Uh, yeah, no way. As he tries to negotiate a later time I put mine back a half hour each time until he finally sees the light and goes with the first curfew time (1 a.m.) which is an hour later than his usual time anyway.

Of course he slyly mentioned spending the night at his pal's house. You know the pal we've never met or heard of before this week? Whose parents we don't know? Yeah, that negotiation was short and sweet. "You can't spend the night out anywhere." Surprisingly there hasn't been any real heat or push to get his way. I've come to realize that this is his way of being able to tell his friends he asked and his parents said 'no'. It also means he probably didn't really want to do whatever in the first place.

I'll try to do a quick update about the GF situation with Shmoo because GG is telling me to get my butt in gear if we are going to swim this morning. I'm procrastinating because it's 58 degrees outside right now. Gonna be a chilly swim.

Anyway, I ended up having my chat with Shmoo about the two young ladies in his life. Turns out he and GF #1 (from the other school) are just friends because she wants to be able to "hook up" with other guys if she's so inclined. Apparently last Sunday when he went over to her house he found out that she made out with another guy at her Homecoming dance last Saturday. Of course, Shmoo wasn't too happy about that. He said he knew something was going on because she was acting weird. She finally did confess all to him and Shmoo came home early last Sunday and started the whole, "GF probably isn't going to my Homecoming." saga.

So he's trying to maintain some dignity and act like he can deal with this, quoting here, "like an adult" and decides he can still be friends with GF #1. So, GF #1 is at our house for dinner this past Wednesday and I'm thinking how weird it is they are both going stag to their individual Homecoming dances if they are a couple. Of course I didn't know all the back story yet. Now that I do I can't imagine having the chutzpah to go to a guy's house and eat dinner with his parents after I've made out with another guy. More puzzling is why my son thinks this is acting like an adult. That's a whole other chapter and conversation that he's definitely going to have to have with his Dad.

You know what's difficult? GF #1 isn't someone you'd meet and think of as a girl who's either desperate for male attention, trying to make a BF jealous, or a skank ho type. She's cute, intelligent, has good manners and seems like a really sweet girl. I'd question Shmoo's veracity if I hadn't heard her talk about wanting to go to her own Homecoming stag so she could be with her friends. Turns out the flirtation with the guy she made out with has been brewing since school started. Too complicated and too much melodrama for me.

So GF #2? She's at the house Thursday evening for a couple of hours and last night they went to the Homecoming football game together. Tonight he's picking her up for the dance, BUT they aren't going as a couple because she really likes someone else. I think Shmoo just wants to show GF #1 that what she did doesn't bother him...which of course isn't true at all. He seems fine though. Although I don't think we will be hearing about or from GF #1 any more. This seems to have been a transition week. Shmoo did say GF#1 sent him a text saying she might go to his Homecoming with a girlfriend she knows that goes to the school. That really set him off. Several blazing texts later he's pretty certain she won't show.

What next? I'm exhausted after all that and I still have to live through today. I didn't proof read this because now GG is pacing. Gotta go swimming!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Love the Shmoo stories, lol. And yes, I think kids actually feel relieved when you set firm limits and stick with them. They feel secure. Of course, it doesn't mean they're not going to do their darndest not to break them, lol.

10:18 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sam, I think they're relieved too. Too bad we have to go through the equivalent of G8 summit meetings with them before they realize you aren't going to change your mind. I say again...raising kids ain't for wimps.

12:07 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh the drama! I'd be ready to tear my hair out.

As for GF#1 - she doesn't have to necessarily give off skanky-ho vibes. Girls are pretty useless until they're (at least) 21 - and even then there are steeper learner curves for others. My romantic relationships were a mess until I turned 21 when I had an epiphany that was basically "What the F am I doing?!"

1:28 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, ::vbg:: useless until 21 huh? I'll keep that in mind.

3:25 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Oy. We are just entering this phase. Jeff and his friends are just beginning to get invited to the high school homecoming dances. Girls are such hos - forward little things, the boys don't even have to do the asking anymore LOL!!! (parents of girls, I'm just kidding here!!) And because Jeff and his friends (and all their girl friends) are in leadership, the HS administrations are looking the other way about the boys either not being in high school yet or going to a different school. In our district, you have to go to the same school to go to the dances together - how 'bout that one?

And can I say, while I'm looking forward to it (it's so exciting to see your boy all dressed up to go to a dance), I could do without the melodrama. Sounds like Shmoo is such a good kid, doing all the good normal boy kid stuff. Love your Shmoo and Beanie stories :)

5:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

I think your friend yesterday was right...these Schmoo stories ARE like a daytime drama...it's been fun following it! ;o)

I think when he says "like an adult" he's referring to the same 'adultness' that all the 90210 'kids' thought they were behaving like. Ahhh...the drama! And I think you're right on GF#2 being around to make GF#1 to think he's getting along just fine.

Good for you and GG sticking to your guns on the curfew! I'm taking notes!

6:19 PM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

Oh, the drama!! Seeing as how my oldest is a couple years younger than your youngest, I'm coming to you for help when I need it!! You guys are great. :o)

7:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

BTW - I can't tell you how much I wish I was still in So.Cal. for the get together next week. I can't wait to hear all about it.

7:15 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, isn't it hard getting used to girls being so forward? Sheesh I wouldn't want my son be as direct and pushy as some of the girls are. Asking is one thing, emailing, texting, calling, messages on MySpace...relentlessly is a bit much. I think Shmoo has had half a dozen different MySpace pages so some girl wouldn't keep bugging him.

It's not just him either. I hear the same stuff from other Moms with guys bugging their daughters. It's a different world than we had to manage in high school.

It is great seeing them dressed up. Shmoo was so happy last year with his date. He and his brother went to dinner together with their GFs. Too bad Shmoo's friend moved to Texas with her family. This year has just been a rollercoaster.

Becky, sticking to our guns was pretty easy this time because like I said I don't think he really wanted to stay out later or spend the night.

Believe me, when he really does want to do something he is relentless and that's when GG and I have to bolster each other up to hold the line. It's not always easy either. Not because we want to give in to make Shmoo happy, but because you get worn out with constant conversation and his trying to negotiate EVERYTHING. It's exhausting. I'm so thankful I don't have to do this alone. I think about single parents all the time and wonder how they do it...and we only have TWO!

Jen, thanks so much for the vote of confidence. Sometimes when everyone ends up either angry or frustrated it doesn't feel like we are very successful. The fruits of parenting are not always immediate and sometimes you have to wait.

It would be so awesome if you could be here for the SoCal get together. I hope you'll let us know if you are ever out this way. That would be so fun!

11:46 PM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

I don't have anything uber-intelligent to say. Wow is all I can seem to come up with. I hope she didn't show up to the dance.

And the girl definitely has nerve coming to eat at your house after she's made out with another boy.

7:43 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, yeah while I feel in good company then because I was pretty speechless myself when I found out what had been going on. BTW, GF #! didn't show up at the dance. Whew! Disaster diverted.

10:03 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home