A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Bless me Father for I have sinned...

So for months I've been buying books like there's no tomorrow. I've been reading but in August my reading was dismal. Dismal not because I was in a funk but because I was either too dang busy or too dang tired to read. Well, after making a declaration to read, read, read I can't stop! I've finished Jo Goodman's IF HIS KISS IS WICKED and Emma Holly's FAIRYVILLE.

I have to say Ms. Goodman is an excellent writer. I'm left with the impression of her thoroughness in her story telling. She also does an excellent job creating full characters. My big 'but' is that the story did drag a bit for me in places. Just not enough going on. However, it was never so slow I wanted to put it down or not finish. Which was smart because the last third picked up very nicely and it ended up being a very satisfying read.

FAIRYVILLE...what to say. Very erotic and Holly at her very best especially with the men. I, as I've said many times, am not a big fan of the fey and fairy stories (or ghosts). Not that Ms. Holly particularly cares what I think, but I would have loved this book and been shouting about it every where if it were a straight up contemporary erotic novel. But Emma Holly fans don't despair. If, like me, you are unsure about the whole magical mystery tour part of the book let me assure you that the story takes place on a human plain, even if the town is called Fairyville, Arizona. The story sets a brisk pace and the characters were interesting, at least they were to me.

As we speak I'm more than half way through Laura Lee Guhrke's BREATHLESS. I was very torn about stopping to blog hop and write a post but I've been neglectful the past couple of days and with over 100 posts to read I decided to check out the blogosphere and catch up a bit. Besides I needed to give my eyes a rest and, you know, sleep maybe.

It's hard not to feel like a contented glutton. Is there such a thing? Especially after reading Holly's post about moderation I have a bit of the guilts about all my reading. I ate doughnuts today too. I haven't done that for ages. Oh and I didn't swim. Although this was the first Saturday lap swimming was available, so I won't make a habit out of skipping, okay? Uh, what else? Oh yeah, I only did two loads of laundry.

So that's it. That's my confession. For my penance I think I'll read only ONE hour before going to sleep. What do you think?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

One hour? You know you've been very bad ~~ I think you should make it two.

8:01 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

It seems as if the one hour was a bit optimistic. By the time I posted and rechecked a couple of blogs I barely read for 15 minutes before it was lights out. Don't tell anyone but I'm reading today while I'm doing the laundry.

12:35 PM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

I've had to give up the reading before bed because twice in the past month it's turned into an almost all nighter. With a kid that has an inner alarm clock set at 7am that's not such a good thing.

2:10 PM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I finish If His Kiss as well and I'm 3/4 through The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt. I have a few gripes with IHKIW, but for the most party I truly enjoyed it (Sybil will be so proud).

Just so you know, moderation doesn't apply to reading. :P

My big sin for the weekend? I slept until after 1 p.m. yesterday. I'm still sick over it, to be honest. I felt like I wasted the entire day. :(

7:56 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holland, whew! Good to know I don't have to be moderate in my reading. I was worried. ;-)

Giselle, not read before bed? I don't know if I could fall asleep without reading. Okay, I could but not without some other sort of persuasion. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

9:32 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home