A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Read and Reading

Raise those arms and steeeeerrrrreeeeetch! Feels good, no? Yeah I'm stretched out, relaxed from lap swimming and all caught up on my blog hopping. I feel so balanced and happy because I'm reading every day again. Right now I'm reading Jo Goodman's IF HIS KISS IS WICKED. Only 50 pages in and I'm hooked pretty good.

I have, however, surrendered to the fact that I now read more than one book at a time. It's snuck up on me little by little. GG just asked me the other night if this was the 3rd or 4th book I was partially through. He thinks I've put the books down because I didn't like them. Au contraire! I just see another book in my TBR and like a toddler with a short attention span pick it up and start reading.

Although I did read CARESSED BY ICE straight through. As previously mentioned that is one rockin' good book.
Anyway I thought I'd do a quickie review of the other books I read over the Labor Day weekend and the books I'm currently reading.

MY IMMORTAL by Erin McCarthy. This is nothing like any of her other books. Damien du Bourg is in service to a demon for his "gift" of immortality. Marley Turner comes to New Orleans looking for her sister. This isn't one of her humorous tongue in cheek books. Straight up dark paranormal. I liked it very much and hope she keeps writing in this vein. As I've noted previously in reviews, I like when the characters are struggling with internal issues that make me examine moral issues in my own life. Good solid read.

DARK POSSESSION by Christine Feehan. Yes I bought it. Hardcover no less. I have to say this branch of the Carpathians who live in the rain forest are a bit intriguing to me. Ms Feehan certainly has pushed my curiousity buttons about the eldest of the DelaCruz brothers, Zacarias. This is the second eldest, Manolito's story. No real new ground broken here just another chapter and entry into the saga. At the very least this is a much better installment than the horrendous and plotless DARK CELEBRATION.

THE PRICE OF DESIRE by Leda Swann. Someone somewhere in the blogosphere mentioned liking Ms. Swann's erotic novels. So I gave this one a whirl. This was a very well done version of formerly wealthy young lady having only one thing to barter to keep she and her four siblings from starvation. No trite story here. Elements of realism, sorrow and heartbreak that go with leaving your respectability behind make this a cut above other books of this type. I will definitely be looking for other books by Ms. Swann.

FOR HER PLEASURE by Maya Banks. I'd read a couple of Ms. Banks ebooks. One I liked and one I didn't. While in reality this is one book it's broken into three parts almost giving it an anthology feel to it. This is a spicy read and I have mixed emotions about it. Some of it was very good and some of it not so much. Not a lot of depth here. What you see is what you get. If you are looking for a sexy romp with a bit of plot this is the book for you.

Here's the books I've started and haven't finished yet:

TANGLED UP IN YOU by Rachel Gibson

BREATHLESS by Laura Lee Guhrke

THE SERPENT PRINCE
by Elizabeth Hoyt

THE DEVIL MAY CRY by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I don't have any particular problems with these books. In fact I was enjoying both BREATHLESS and THE SERPENT PRINCE but I just got distracted by another new shiny book. I've never had so many books started and in limbo before. New experience for me. I'm hoping to catch up and finish them over the next week. Then I'm feeling a hankering for some westerns coming on. I'll have to crack open my tub and see what I've got languishing for me to read. Seriously? I can hardly wait.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

it doesn't matter how many books you're reading as once, as long as you're reading!! LOL :D but wow, that's a lot of books :D I'm glad you're enjoying it :D So, My Immortal is good? Cos I have that book, but haven't started it yet. Gorgeous cover in my opinion, but it doesn sound different from her usual style...

4:03 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

I think I've got 7 books I've started ~ it's helped with my reading funk. But I got sucked in by The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes ~ I'll finish it tonight.

I've never read Erin McCarthy ~ I've gotten a few of her things but have never been able to finish. I might have to give her another try.

9:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm about 25 pages into If His Kiss by Goodman and I'm hooked, too. Very interesting. I can't wait to see if it continues on in the same thread or if I'll be disappointed.

I, too, have been reading more than one book at a time recently. It's annoying. I just want to finish ONE! LOL

11:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Karen Scott said...

Hey Rosie, I see you've surpassed me in terms of the number of books you're reading simultaneously, lol.

3:04 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, MY IMMORTAL is a different sort of book for Ms. McCarthy. I liked it. I'll be very interested to see what you think. This isn't your average paranormal.

Dev, if you're reading McCarthy's books about those vamps in Vegas...well I can understand how you might not have finished. I did like HEIRESS FOR HIRE and HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM. MY IMMORTAL is different though and I liked it for being somewhat original. Seven books? Wow! I'm impressed!

Holly, I had some ups and downs with Goodman's books. Last third was good though. Let's compare notes.

Karen, yeah I keep thinking about you and that post of yours about reading more than one book at a time. I can't believe how I've changed! :)

7:56 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home