A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

LOVER UNBOUND by JR Ward













LOVER UNBOUND by JR Ward









I finished reading this book last night around 9 p.m. I'm writing this about an hour after finishing the book uncertain if this is the right frame of mind to be putting my thoughts out there in cyber space. I figure if I change my mind I can always hit the delete button. You feel me? ::eye roll::

To be perfectly clear here I've enjoyed the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I think DARK LOVER will always be my favorite to a certain extent because it was fresh take on an old theme. Vampires. I was riveted to this new world created by the mysterious J.R. Ward. I wrote a pretty good review of the book when it came out. I wrote reviews for the second and third books as well. You can check them out here if you are so inclined.

Did I notice the name dropping of expensive clothes, cars, booze, shoes and the like? Sure. I absorbed it as being a part of Ms. Ward's writing voice and style for this particular series. It didn't stop me from wanting to read the books.

Did I think while reading subsequent books in the series that the BDB was so far superior to the hated enemies the Lessers that to even classify the Lessers as enemies to the mighty warriors was laughable? Well, yes, I did, but that didn't stop me from enjoying or wanting to continue to read the books either.

I didn't seem to find the heroines as wimpy and wishy washy as many readers did. I liked 'em just fine. I'm sort of a sacrificial lamb to my relationships sometimes so I get women who do that. As a steady diet it can be debilitating, but for a work of fiction I can deal with it. So that didn't stop me from reading the books.

When my two least favorite people in the series, Marissa and Butch, got a whole book devoted to their relationship I still like a lemming bought a copy of LOVER REVEALED and read it. Not being particularly interested in the H/H didn't stop me from continuing to read this series.

You know where I'm going with this right? I do believe Ms. Ward has succeeded in disillusioning me as a fan permanently. I'm so ticked off with the last 50 pages of LOVER UNBOUND I could scream. In actuality, I did sort of scream. I cannot believe the choices Ms. Ward made to give Vishous and Jane their happy ending. After 458 pages of multiple characters, storylines, obvious bread crumbs for future books I was infuriated with her choices at the end. I was flat out flummoxed by what she chose to do and how she used the Scribe Virgin whose presence, character and power seems to change from book to book to serve whatever story or plot bind Ms. Ward finds herself in. Yeah, color me royally ticked off.

For all the people who follow the series and have enjoyed it, you'll want to read the book like I did. Ordinarily I try to steer people away from reading a book that I found less than satisfactory, but if you've been a fan you're going to have to read the book to be convinced how unbelievable those last 50 pages are. Unbelievable. Contrived. Unsatisfactory. I think there was a huge missed opportunity here and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. The reviews I've skimmed have been pretty restrained in comparison to the outrage and betrayal I feel right now. But I'm afraid all BDB fans are not going to believe it unless they read it for themselves. Let me offer my sympathy in advance.


Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

*pat on the shoulder* take a deep breath :P LOL :P great rant :D I'm definitively not buying it, if even you, found it frustrating :D I have to say though, wow, you did go through it fast considering its thickness. One other question, are you just frustrated because of the last 50 pages, or there were stuff in the rest of the book that wasn't satisfying. A lot of ppl complained about how V was in love with Butch and the next minute, Butch was forgotten and hello Jane.

In any case, my only regret is missing out on John Matthew's story...

4:36 AM PDT  
Blogger Anne said...

So far it seems that everyone is giving a not-so-stellar review of this one. Makes me glad I never got into the series. (((HUGS))) Rosie. It always sucks when the END of the book bites the big one.

5:42 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, there were some blips during the reading of the book. I didn't feel the transition of V's partner love from Butch to Jane was all that bad. Especially if you accept the premise in the BDB books that they have mates. V, nor Phury with Bella, had all the reactions that bonded males supposedly had. It wasn't near as upsetting as the ending, imo.

Zeek, I just know as a fan of the series that I would never have been satisfied with other readers' POV and would have to read the book for myself. I can only state again that I'm surprised how restrained reviewers have been. Maybe they are worried the Cellies (JRW fans) will descend on them. Or, maybe, what really stunned me wasn't a big deal for them.

Anne, you know I wasn't thinking the book was as good as Wrath's or Zsadist's books, but I was wondering why the reviews I'd read were complaining how JRW took a turn or that this story was too influenced by her critics and reader love. Aside from the Lessers being missing I think it was pretty SOP until the last 50 pages. Hopefully I'll get over it by day's end. :) Then again...

6:38 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

Well, I haven't read any of the books in this series yet ~~ I'm almost glad I haven't.

7:43 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

The minute I read what happens at the end of the book I KNEW you were going to hate it. Just knew. I think we've spent too much time talking about books together.

I've never gotten on the Ward bandwagon (although I did read book #2) because the dopey names, wishy-washy heroines and HORRIBLE dialogue drove me insane. But I understood why the books appealed to others. It will be interesting to see if those readers who claim they've "sworn off Ward" will jump back on the bandwagon when the next book is released.....

8:56 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I haven't read this book yet (not sure I want to) but I did read all the spoilers and I want to ask you a question.

Have you ever read Sins of the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon? Because from what I'm hearing, it sounds like JRW did exactly the same thing SK did in that book.

Course, not having read it, I could be totally off track.

Sorry you're so upset. I HATE it when that happens, especially when I've been a great fan of a series. :(

BIG HUGS!!

We can console ourselves with cheesecake this weekend. :P

Side Note: My word verif is tummy. is that fitting with my above statement or what? haha

10:43 AM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

Rosie - you give amazing reviews. You don't give any spoilers, but you state your opinion clearly and it's true what Nath said - at least the rest of the book (and series) was terrific!
I remember being a total Diana Gabaldon fan girl, and then just not beiong able to get past the fourth book in the series; it Pissed me off! Oh well.

12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, all I can say is that's is a good thing I can remember how much I liked those first three in the series.

Wendy, that's not gloating I hear in your voice is it? I was a little suspicious when I saw your post yesterday, but I was still PO'd at the end.

Holly, YES! I went back and read the ending of SINS OF THE NIGHT and JRW does almost EXACTLY the same thing. Blech! Yes, cheesecake is exactly what I need.

Sam,*blushes* Thanks so much for the compliment, I'm glad you like the reviews. Being disappointed blows, but the silver lining is there's always a next book.

6:11 PM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

No gloating - just supremely curious to read your final reaction to the book. Gotta say, you were a lot more restrained than I thought you were going to be. I expected a lot more swearing....

6:17 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, I'm saving the swearing for when I see you in person. ;-)

6:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm so sorry you were bummed out by the ending. See? I knew at some point this series would bite. (no pun intended *g*). So, I never started.

And I, too, will be on the cheesecake bandwagon on Saturday to help console you. Nothin' like a bunch of empty calories to make a girl feel better :)

10:54 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, see I'm thinking that the old adage "Misery loves company" can be applied here. Who wouldn't love to cry in their beer
er...cheesecake with the company of like minded readers?

12:05 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Ho-boy! I'm with Sam on this great review. I haven't read it yet and I don't like spoilers - you didn't give any spoilers and told me exactly how you feel.

I'm terrified!

The minute I heard the Scribe Virgin had a part in this book I already knew I was going to have a problem.

I was a Butch fangirl and I still feel the burn of betrayal. I liked him so much better as a human.

No lessers? What the hell is this 500 page tome about?

I said I was terrified right?

On another note I so wish I was rich and liked to fly because I would love to meet up with you all this weekend. I may just have to go and buy a small cheesecake and share a slice thousands of miles away. I'll be thinking of you guys and smiling ;)

CindyS

12:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy it would be sooooo very cool if we could meet. Wouldn't we have a time? :-)

You know, as I said in my review, I think people who have read the series need to read the book and decide for themselves otherwise, not meaning to go all Dr. Phil here, the reader won't have closure. But I TOTALLY get why you would have reservations about reading it. So would I.

Zeek, I imagine you'll find copies relatively quickly in the UBS. Sad, but true.

7:37 AM PDT  
Blogger reviewer said...

Wow. Excellent review.
I feel the exact same way.
Dark Lover is also my fav out of the series.

I'm mad, annoyed, pissed off, sad. Ugh.

4:32 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Oh man, it's reviews like this that make me itch to read the book. LOL My mom has a tight grip on this one though. I can't get it back until she's done. haha She might throw it at my head!

8:10 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Chantal, I was soooo looking forward to this book. There was so much material to work with for V's story (I thought). I don't even think what JRW chose to do was necessary.

Ames,you have to let us know what your Mom thinks too! :-) While lots of readers hav eproblems with the book, they all seem to be different things.

7:16 AM PDT  
Blogger Casee said...

Rosie,

I am in complete agreement w/ you! In my review I didn't even mention how much the slang and designer name dropping annoyed me. It was even more than usual. Seriously eye-rolling stuff.

I agree with you about Dark Lover, too. It is my favorite in the series. I just think that JRW tried to take the series too big, too fast.

8:19 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya feel me my brother?
Man, if I ever read those words again i think I'll be sick.
I have read the BDB series and by book three I was so sick of the dialogue, the slang, the scribe virgin, the secondary characters who seemed to steal the show. Lover unbound and Lover Enshrined were more about John, Blay and Quinn. V was my fav of the brothers and I think he ended up by getting the shaft.
Now you are probably wondering why I read the novels? All I can say is when I start something I need to see--read it to the end.

11:08 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home