A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans Day

My Dad is a vet he was a fighter pilot in the Vietnam War. I have two uncles who served in WW II. I have a brother, nephew, and a brother-in-law who served. My brother-in-law is still an active duty Captain in the USAF. So Veterans Day is not just any holiday in our family. We remember. We are proud. We are grateful.

When I was young and my family moved every three years because Dad had a new assignment I never gave it a thought. I was not a child who suffered particularly from moving, but then every kid I knew and came in contact with was in the same boat. I just didn't know any different.

Then my Dad got his assignment in Southern California. I was 13 and we were stationed in Japan at the time. California? The place where movies were made? It sounded so fabulous, exotic and well...Disneyland was there! So we moved. We didn't know that there was desert in California. We didn't know that a small town mostly supported by the air force base was going to become a place we called 'HOME'. But it did.

I had eight siblings. We all were melancholy when my Dad sold the only house we'd all lived in after Mom died. I say 'all' because there's 17 years difference between my baby sister and I and we were only all at home together for about a year and a half. Some have moved away and come back, like me. I was gone for about 8 years and then moved back after I was married. Some like my sister in Georgia will never live in Southern California again and have made 'home' some where else.

So it doesn't really matter where your travels take you, or how you got to the place you call home. What matters is the people you love who make the place you live home.

Thanks to the men and women who serve in the military who stand and believe and keep us all safe at home with our families.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

Great post, Rosie. My dad served during the Korean conflict ~ I also have my best friend's son who is in Iraq now, and my youngest sister who finished her tour in Iraq in March. We have a lot to be thankful for.

7:42 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

My father was in the Army doing EOD in the Midwest during the Vietnam era (for you non-military types that's explosive ordnance disposal - yes, things that go boom). To this day I cannot wrap my mind around my father doing that sort of work - but he is methodical and a touch anal retentive, so I imagine he was pretty good at it :)

8:41 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

Wonderful post. My dad was in both WWII and the Korean war. He was out of the Navy long before me or my sisters came around, but he's still our hero.

So it doesn't really matter where your travels take you, or how you got to the place you call home. What matters is the people you love who make the place you live home.

Amen.

Happy Veterans Day to you!

11:38 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post Rosie. It was Remeberance Sunday here in the UK yesterday, my grandfather fought, as did my Dad and my best friend is from a military family. It's important to remember and acknowledge what our friends and family did and still do for us all.

1:24 PM PST  
Blogger Gigi said...

Great post Rosie. But y' know what irks me about Veterans Day? The fact that my hubby who is a vet has to trudge off to work as do countless other vets and my BIL who has never seen any combat gets the day off with pay. WTF! This has got to change. It makes no sense whatsoever. I've been fuming about this all day.

6:01 PM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

A friend of mine leaves Saturday for his second deployment in Iraq. He came to church yesterday in full military uniform,his wife and two young children at his side. It was incredibly humbling.

6:36 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

I was so touched reading about all your loved ones who have served or are serving in the military right now. What we all know is that we can never forget the sacrifices they make, and they do make sacrifices. I got tears in my eyes reading about Lisabea's friend who is leaving for his second deployment to Iraq. Please God we get our troops out of there soon.

Giselle, that is down right heartbreaking that your husband had to work today. GG had to work today and I saw Super Librarian Wendy today and her Boyfriend had to work as well. This day has particular significance when we have men and women in active combat. I think all businesses should honor the day.

6:54 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home