A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Bean and Shmoo

First, a big fat wa-hoo because I'm off on Friday this week so I'm going to enjoy a 4-day weekend. Of course this also means that I will pay for it next week. Sometimes the shorter week almost isn't worth it. Almost. Hey maybe I'll get my August reading list finished. Ya think? Maybe?

Shmoo news...

Shmoo has started his EMT class. It's done in 8-hour sessions on Saturdays for 16 weeks. Yep. 16. Weeks. Lots of homework too. He's also in the process of getting a second job. Is it wrong that I'm so gleeful he's going to be so busy? I think it's great and the mother in me rejoices that he's working hard and building character.

OTOH now that he's going to have two jobs he's looking into buying a new vehicle. Like most guys in the fire service he wants a truck. Fortunately he's willing to start small because he can't afford it and doesn't want a Ford 350 right out of the gate.

I had to smile. Secretly. We have an agreement with him about how much money he has to have in an investment account, a savings/emergency fund and money saved for a down payment. I calculate it will take him at least a year to save enough money, added to what he already has, to meet our agreement.

Undeterred, and because he's the male of the species, he's already shopping. He's narrowed it down to a Toyota Tacoma. He walks into my room to talk to me a couple of days ago and starts the conversation with, "I'm so excited about my new truck." Dude. He's already gone online to get a quote for insurance too. Just so he knows what it costs.

Shmoo is like GG in that regard. He gets focused on something and Hannah-bar-the-door, he's going to do it. It's a good thing, I know, but the next year is going to be full of truck magazines, ideas for stereos, color, truck posters in his room. Mark my words. This is far from the last we will hear about "my new truck" in the next 12 months.

In other news...

Beanie called me yesterday. As I've mentioned a few times Bean is my geeky dorky comic book kid. While he loves working for Disney he's totally bummed that Disney bought Marvel comics. Suddenly Disney is not the "happiest place on earth". Bean is very concerned about what the "evil empire" will do to Marvelverse. Lordy.

We spoke a bit about his comic book project. I finally read his narrative for the first issue of the comic book that he's creating with about half the students attending Cal State Fullerton.

I keed, I keed.

Although, I think there are like 8 people involved at this point. I'm also ashamed to admit that I was surprised and intrigued with what I read. Yeah, I'm going to Mom hell for my tendency to
roll my eyes when my kid's current focus during his 5th year of college is creating a comic. Great kid. Wonderful human being. Just in no hurry to graduate. Since he works and got student loans I guess I shouldn't can't complain. But, you know, I was hoping there'd be less comic book and more communications degree this year.

Besides I was a little worried because early on Bean had mentioned that his super heroes were getting their powers from an STD. Isn't that a delightful premise? Anyway, I had visions of myself having to lie to my sweet Little Beanie Boy if I really didn't like his comic book. I'm thinking it's also the reason why I may have procrastinated reading it.

Thankfully there was no mention of sexually transmitted super powers. The writing and premise were pretty decent. I actually (appropriately) laughed at some of the dialogue.

Silly me for worrying. Just don't tell Bean, okay?

With that I'm going to post a picture of the boys with their GFs. I finally remembered to ask them if it was okay to post their picture on my blog. Why I worry when they all post pictures of themselves right and left on FaceBook and elsewhere, I don't know, but I thought I should ask first.





Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger sula said...

you are such a good mom. :) no really. giving your kids space to be themselves but also giving them guidelines and structure to become adults...that's full of win.

oh and they are seriously cute. *g*

5:01 AM PDT  
Blogger Kati said...

Such cute boys! You and GG did good.

You're a wonderful Momma, Rosie! I love that your son is planning (being a planner myself). I respect that utterly. Even if it's a year from now, it's always nice to have something to look forward to. So, I respect the planner in him!

5:59 AM PDT  
Blogger azteclady said...

You ask first because you have manners :grin:

And hoorray for liking Bean's narrative.







(((Rosie)))
Sending you good thoughts.

7:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Seriously. Cute. Boys. Although neither one would probably be too thrilled with being called "cute."

And tell Beanie it's OK. Batman and DC Comics are still safe....for now. Although gotta say I was a wee bit surprised by the Disney/Marvel merger/buy-out/whatever you wanna call it.

9:27 AM PDT  
Blogger Rowena said...

Aww, what a great looking bunch. Go you!

LOL, I'm happy you don't have to lie about liking his comic book. You're too cute.

I'm super jealous that you have a four day weekend when I only have a three day weekend. Although, the power is out at my sister's office and she's going to get a five day weekend. The lucky tramp!

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about Disney buying Marvel...does that mean we're going to be seeing all of those super heroes at Disneyland? I might have to finally make that trip down the 5 to go! =)

9:54 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Great pic Rosie!! :)

LOL, it's fun to hear you talk about your sons :) I hope that Shmoo will enjoy being an EMT :)

Enjoy your week-end!! I have tomorrow off as well :D woohooo.

1:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I think it's so wonderful that you and your boys are so close. I hope to be that way with my girls when they get older as well. Right now the oldest is kind of in la-la land. lol

Great picture.

1:25 PM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Love that pic. They are so handsome! And look how beautiful their girlfriends are! wowza!

I can relate to the car thing. Our deal with Alex P Keaton is that we'll match what he's saved up to $4,000. And we have to approve the car, since we'll likely be paying the insurance (cause he really wants a Corvette. Umm... no). He's already telling us what car he's buying, too. Course, he's got a ton of $$ saved.

Love your Beanie & Shmoo stories!

8:21 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sula, you know I try hard to be a good Mom, but well, I guess one always feels like it's a work in progress AND that it's never done... no matter how old they get.

Kati, Shmoo is a very careful planner, but once he has a chosen goal, well, watch out. Bean is the more likely of the two to just jump in and be spontaneous.

AL, I cannot express enough my relief that I didn't have to fake liking that comic synopsis. Crisis of epic proportions diverted!

Wendy, Bean reads a lot of "off beat" comics too, but Marvel has been a main stay over the years. Thankfully his very favorite super hero, wait for it... Green Lantern (who has GL for their fave super hero, I ask you!) is the property of DC Comics.

Oh and trust me, both my boys have healthy egos and would love any female calling them cute.

Rowena, I had to laugh when I read that last bit about the super heroes walking around at Disneyland. You would go to see them and Beanie would probably quit his job. Too funny.

Nath, having tomorrow (today) off is how I'm able to be answering this email at 230 AM. I really am looking forward to the break to read, blog and hang out with GG.

Tracy, you will be. As I told you on your first day of school post, you are entering those tough middle school years with your oldest. *shudders* I wouldn't want a do-over on those years with Shmoo for anything.

Lori, I swear I laughed out loud when I read about Alex P. Keaton and the corvette. It so fits the personality we've come to know from your stories. I can't wait to hear of the further car buying adventures.

2:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Lusty Reader said...

Rosiiieee so glad the comic turned out well, the thought of super powers through STDs is very Generation Y i think, maybe he could also work in social networking too? it would be a very 21st century story! good to hear the STDs weren't mentioned though ;)

12:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

LR, there must be something to your whole Gen Y theory. When I spoke to Bean and a couple of his collaborators about the whole STD transmitted powers, we got into a lengthy discussion which was basically summed up as it being a convenient way to have sex in the comic. Just what every mother wants to hear as she is lecturing on gratuitous sex and sexual innuendo that is disrespectful, objectifying and denigrating to women.

2:36 PM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

It is always a nice thing to see the kids working, lol.

Your boys are very handsome, Rosie.

1:54 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks Becky. I, of course, think so, but that's sorta my job I think.

5:27 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home