A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

I'm Schizo

NOBODY ASKED ME, but here are some of the many things rattling around in my head this morning:

Books, books, and more books. I have to say, and this is pretty incredible, but I am drowning in more books than I ever have at any other time in my life. I've been busy with real life events and I can't remember the last time I went a WHOLE WEEK without reading. Yes, you read that right -- one whole week! Pretty weird. Since I've read over 100 books since July that comes to some 5 to 6 books a week. Going on two weeks without much reading, I figure I'm about 9 books behind. All of which adds up to a horrendous stack of books next to my bed. Time to sort and organize...I can't stand the chaos. Of course, that didn't stop me from making a few purchases last night.

1. DROP DEAD GORGEOUS by Linda Howard. I've actually started this one and I'm into it.

2. EYE OF HEAVEN by Marjorie M. Liu. I've really enjoyed her books and am anxious to read this latest installment in the Dirk & Steele series.

3. The Nightwalkers: JACOB by Jacquelyn Frank. I've heard so many different things about this book and debated buying it after the review at Dear Author, but at the end of the day decided I wanted to read and see for myself.

4. PLEASURE FOR PLEASURE by Eloisa James. I was irked after the last book The Taming of the Duke, but I have enjoyed her books for the most part and couldn't NOT read this last installment of this current series.


Birthday Party. How cool is it that we are invited to my son's girlfriend's birthday? Makes me happy. I've mentioned a time or two that she's one great young woman (a reader!!). My son just recently told me...are you ready for this?...she reads Harlequin Blaze books but hides them from her friends. Sound familiar? Anyway, I told him she can borrow from my library any time she wants because she's only 17 and saving for college so she's got a pretty limited book budget. Of course, there are some limits to what I'd feel comfortable with her borrowing. Although, her Mom seems alot like mine was and doesn't appear to sensor her reading. What do you think? Let her have carte blanche or make recommendations?



Baby in the microwave. If you are sick of this topic skip reading this, but I've found I just cannot stop thinking about this. That happens to me sometimes. This mother who allegedly microwaved her one month old baby was just indicted this week a year after the infant's death. The news article I read said they had scientific proof that proved this woman, who brought the baby to an ER with a high body temperature, had put the baby in a microwave.

I have so many questions about this whole incident. Sometimes things come up in the news that I just get obsessed with. This woman has three other children. What made her snap with this infant? She was out to dinner earlier in the evening with the baby's father (husband?), why is she being charged? Maybe Dad did it. No, not more palatable, but why are they charging Mom? And finally, what scientific proof do you have that a one month old was in a microwave? Freaky, scary and while I'm wondering...I don't REALLY want to know. Know what I mean?



Procrastinating. This is not usually me. In fact, I'm a person who wants to get the list done so I'm free to do what I want, like READ. Recently I've found myself procrastinating. I'm blaming it on lots of things, but think it's really about fear. You know, putting off something because one is afraid they are going to fail or suck at something. Unfamiliar territory for me, the procrastinating, not the fear. Fear and worry are very good friends of mine. Sometimes I kick their butts and sometimes they kick mine.


Okay, speaking of procrastinating I have laundry and dust bunnies telling me to get my butt out of this desk chair and get to work.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

I was in a major reading slump, too. Then, however long ago, I knocked out 7 books in a matter of days. Now, I'm back in my slump. It's kind of depressing.

I want DDG, but I'm not allowed to buy any books until after Christmas (my rule) so I guess it'll have to wait. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it, though.

How cool that they invited you. I like this girl already. lol As for the books, I'd say it's whatever you feel comfortable with. I think it depends on the person, to be honest.

What? What story was that? I don't remember hearing about a baby in the microwave story. That's just...wrong. Yikes.

I'm a major Procrastinator. It's terrible of me, I know, but I can't help it. Good luck getting your laundry done! :)

11:45 AM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Hey sorry about posting anonymous yesterday, but I updated to blogger beta and was having technical difficulties!

It's exciting that L is a romance reader. I'm having flashbacks to when you were picking out books for me! I'm reading the Edge trilogy BTW...I gues some things never change.

2:11 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year I had a basket with about 12 books in it for 6 months. When I came out of my slump I was pretty excited to have a nice selection of books to choose from.

I thought you were supposed to let the bunnies run free! Damn, you mean I should catch them and get rid of'um? They make pretty good pets.

4:48 PM PST  
Blogger ReneeW said...

I want DDG and Eye of Heaven too but I have some library books to finish first. I'm a world class procastinator. That is so cool about the girlfriend.

10:33 PM PST  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Let her have carte blanche If she's reading Harlequine Blaze, I don't think there's anything out there that would be inappropriate--LOL.

I've read DDG, and will have PFP monday.

Big time procrastinator here!! At the holidays I push to be organized because I hate feeling stressed.

2:39 AM PST  
Blogger Mailyn said...

She is 17 so I say let her go for it and read anything she likes!

Re baby story, OK that's just sick and WTF? Why in the hell would anyone do that? What the hell is WRONG with people?!?!!? Ugh.

TBR pile is growing on me as well. Too many things going on so no time to read plus I've been sick. LOL.

10:50 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, I refuse to call it a slump! : ) I think I'm just tired because for the first time I can remember I start reading and fall asleep in about 5 minutes. Makes for slow going.

Mary, no problem-o with anon post. I just thought it was a different "Mary". I love you.

Scooper, I can't imagine having 12 books in a basket and not reading at all. I've been a steady reader for so long, I'm always reading even if it's S-L-O-W! I think I'm just busy w/Christmas stuff and as soon as I'm less busy, I'll read more.

Renee, I got most of my list done...that day! : ) It was waaay cool to be with son's GF and family. Her mom is remarrying Dec 30th and we've been invited to the wedding. I'm so glad we are getting along so well.

TM, I pretty much have come to this conclusion, however even though she loves looking at the books on the shelf, she seems a little shy about borrowing. I think she's worried about me judging her based on her selection.

Mailyn, like I told TM, I think she's a bit shy about borrowing for now. I'll offer again or maybe hand over DROP DEAD GORGEOUS when I'm done and see how she likes it.

7:25 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I stumbled onto your site googling "Jacob: The Nightwalkers".

Never heard about the microwave thing, but living in NY I've heard so many other horror stories that it almost doesn't surprise me. Still makes me sick to my tummy though.

I noticed your discomfort loaning certain books to the 17 year old. FYI - I started reading my favorite genre ("trashy romance novels" as they were dubbed by many I knew) when I was in 4th grade.
Kept borrowing from my Aunt's collection - we still trade all the time. I only recently found out that my mom had considered stopping me due to adult content, but my dad said to let me go...any reading was good for me. So, unless you have a lot of the really raunchy stuff, you might want to let her have carte blanche.

I'm so glad my parents didn't censor me. Romance will always be my favorite reading type.

My best friend in jr. high, Jacki, later got me hooked on teen romances - which I read in between Rosemary Rogers and others. I in turn hooked her onto adult romance novels.

How cool is it now that my friend Jacki is now published (hence my googling)? I may be biased, but I loved "Jacob" in the Nightwalkers series. I'm glad you decided to give it a try despite the review on Dear Author.

For those unfamiliar, it is a paranormal, which I don't always love...the characters are usually too dark for me.

I really like the way she created the demon race to be a less dark society. Some paranormal's turn me off when the characters have too much of a sinister side. Jacob was a great balance, as all the main demons seem to be.

I'm sure the things I liked about it may turn others off, but I thought it was a really well written book. Especially since this is her first publishing experience.

Thanks for hosting an interesting site - Renee Nelson Long Island, NY

PS - has anyone read Feehan's "Conspiracy Game" yet? I liked the first 2 in this series, but I used my book budget to buy Jacob for myself and some family members, so I too can't buy until after Xmas. Thanks.

10:13 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Hello Renee from Long Island, welcome to the neighborhood. Thanks for posting too. Yes, I've read Conspiracy Game, I liked it. Below is the link to my review of the book.

I still haven't had a chance to read Jacob, I'm busy with Christmas stuff, but it's sitting there staring at me from the TBR pile. I hope to have time to enjoy books here shortly when I have all my Christmas chores completed.

http://rosemont1217.blogspot.com/2006/11/conspiracy-game-by-christine-feehan.html

3:41 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

So I read Pleasure for Pleasure a couple nights ago. Some parts I liked, some I hated. Loved Mayne, didn't care al that much for Josie. Too whiny. But Griseda's story was pretty good, except for the way it ended. Cliche, cliche, cliche. Dang. The series started out great and went downhill. Isn't that always the way? I'll be interested to see what you thought.

5:59 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, I've been trying to do some reading, but I'm still busy with Christmas stuff. I love this time of year and like to pace myself so I can enjoy it. Problem is that my reading and blogging suffer. The upside is that I'm spending some wonderful time with family and friends. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll have a book review of something up! *g*

6:19 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home