A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Did you see this?

Did you see this article in the LA Times? It actually originated in the NYT. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Masterpiece Theater is getting a new look. GG pointed out an article to me a couple of days ago. Look who's going to host! Agent Skully, aka actress Gillian Anderson,is going to be hosting Masterpiece Theater.

"Ms. Anderson will introduce the January-to-May block of costume dramas that are to be known as “Masterpiece Classic. They will begin this season with adaptations of six Jane Austen
novels. Additional hosts will be chosen to introduce summer programming under the rubric “Masterpiece Mystery!” and the fall block of dramas, to be known as “Masterpiece Contemporary.”

Did you catch that's not going to be called Masterpiece Theater any more? It's Masterpiece Classics in Winter and Spring, Masterpiece Mystery in Summer and Masterpiece Contemporary in the Fall. Gillian Anderson will be introducing the Classics season. Other hosts have yet to be chosen and named. Anybody catch Gillian in BLEAK HOUSE last year? It was quite good.

The new changes start in January with Masterpiece Classics. First up? The Complete
Jane Austen. I have to admit that I haven't seen adaptations of all of her books, so I'll be checking some of these out. You'll note the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice is in the mix.




One last note, did you see or hear the hoopla over Jodie Foster thanking her partner of 14 years who is a woman? Evidently this is the equivalent of coming out.



Do announcements like this affect your opinion or appreciation of an actor or actress? My reaction was one of sadness that Ms. Foster felt she had to hide part of her life. OTOH, it's none of our business. Once again I have to say I'm glad I'm not famous. I can't imagine having any passion so great that I'd be willing to give up my anonymity. Even when I think of the good that some famous people, like Bono, Lance Armstrong or George Clooney can do by bringing awareness to world problems. Giving up my privacy would be just too high a price for me.

I'm off to my swimming now and to enjoy my day with the wacky men in my life. I'm hoping to post a review of Megan Hart's new book TEMPTATION sometime over the weekend. Maybe.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Gillian Anderson, Jane Austen, Colin Firth???! I'm SO going to watch that!

9:06 AM PST  
Blogger Sam said...

The Masterpiece program sounds wonderful. Too bad we won't get it over here. :-(
I'd love to get the BBC as well.
I knew that about Jodie Foster - when she adopted her baby there were pictures of her and her partner together. (This was a while ago) I guess she's just discrete about her private life.

1:11 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

Katie and I are duly excited, though we own a couple of those movies already. Woo hoo!! Or should I say, "Woot!"?

One of the things I've always admired about Jodie Foster is her ability to maintain such a low profile.

6:16 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Becky the season starts January 13th. I think they are repeating Jane Eyre first before starting the Jane Austen series.

Sam most of the Jane Austen movies and series are on DVD, thank goodness so we don't have to completely rely on TV.

I had no clue about Jodie Foster, but am glad she has someone to share her life and the raising of her children with. I've always admired her acting very much.

Jen, now I'll have something to watch on TV on Sunday nights through May. Woot! Yeah!!

Zeek, looks like January 13th is the date. The new website with dates, times, and schedules won't be up until January...at least that's what I found in all the stuff I read.

6:59 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home