A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

August Reading List

Here's my happy but meager reading list for the month of August. I read two of these books over this past holiday weekend. As I look back over the month I feel a little bit guilty because now I'm not sure I gave the books their due since I was tired and distracted. But, we can only judge by that moment in time. I'll be the first one to say that I've had different reactions to books when I've re-read them or even started them in a different frame of mind. Reading is weird like that.

All things considered I'm happy with my 11 books. Considering how the month started, I can't believe I read this many.

TURBULENT SEA by Christine Feehan
B- for this outing of the Drake Sisters. I think I was hoping for something a bit 'more' from this story. I really didn't like the "singing" star sister Joley that much. It's one thing when a character makes a choice to protect their family but Joely came across as a bit too martyrish for me. Ilya Prakenskii, the hero, has appeared in a couple of the other books. I was looking forward to learning more about this character. I sure would have liked to have a bit more of his back story. Of course it's been revealed Ilya is one of seven brothers so I suppose that could spawn a whole new series of books.

MR. CAVENDISH I PRESUME by Julia Quinn
C+ for this one. I think I mentioned previously that I received this as an ARC from Jane (DA) at RWA. I'm a fan of Ms. Quinn's but even though the writing was good, there was a lot of retread of the same story told in THE LOST DUKE OF WYNDHAM. Yes, I get that this book is from another character's perspective, but it was too much like reading the same story for me. There just wasn't anything new here and so I was disappointed in that. This book is due out in October.

FIRST BLOOD Anthology (M. Brook, S. Sizemore, E. McCarthy, CM Green)
I'm giving this one a 'B' but I only read Meljean's and Ms. McCarthy's contributions. I think I'll be sticking with Ms. McCarthy's contemps and stay away from her vamps. Meljean's "THICKER THAN BLOOD" was good and very intriguing. My only whine is that I wish it had been longer.

STAY WITH ME (ebook) by Maya Banks. I'm a fan of her spicy books and got this one at Samhain because I was in the mood for a book that was a bit on the sizzling side. This wasn't as good as I've come to expect from Ms. Banks, but I have to admit my bar for romantic spice has gotten higher. I am looking forward to her next print book BE WITH ME that is due out in November. C TO C- for this menage tale.

TO THE BRINK by Cindy Gerard
I originally gave this one a B- grade but this is one of those instances where the book stayed with me (unexpectedly) after I read it and I'd have to go with a solid 'B' grade now. This is part of the Bodyguard series and the book I read for my tbr review in August. It is out of order, I think it's book 2 or 3 in the series and while characters from other books appear in this one, it didn't bother me or cause a problem with this story. A full length review may show up on this in September for tbr challenge day.

DELICIOUS by Sherry Thomas
This book is the opposite of the Cindy Gerard book. I remember the reading experience as a good one. Picked up the book to do this list and had a good vibe but couldn't remember specifics until I read the back blurb and skimmed the pages. I can say this was a very original and well written book. I do like Ms. Thomas' voice very much. A solid 'B' read for me. The heroine in this book is a chef and it's well done and true to the time period. Good job on the details.

WANDERLUST by Ann Aguirre
What can I say but that I love the character of Sirantha Jax. I love having her voice in my head while I'm reading. I'm so impressed with the layered world Ms. Aguirre has created here. This author writes with complete and total confidence about the world her characters inhabit. This is something she has in common with Nalini Singh. There is layers upon layers in the details of the hair, watches, socks, chairs, clothing, conversation, landscape, people and characters. I loved the book and adore being in Jax's head. Maybe I mentioned that already?

I can't say enough about the journey the reader goes on in this story. Bravo. Good book. I know it's said all the time, but I really can't wait for the next one. Sadly, I understand it will be next fall as Ms. Aguirre will be starting a new series in the Spring. I'm sufficiently impressed with what I've read so far to read anything she writes. A- for WANDERLUST.

WILD CARD By Lora Leigh
I've been such a fan for so long, but these SEAL books are same old same old. I can't say I'll never buy one again, but I'm quickly getting down to only wanting to read her breed series. C

NAUTI DREAMS by Lora Leigh
Disappointing 3rd installment about the "nauti boys". This is Natches story. C-

HOSTAGE TO PLEASURE by Nalini Singh
Well, I'm still loving this psy-changeling series. There so much potential for more books in this world. This installment is about sniper changeling Dorian Christensen and psy-scientist Ashay Aleine. As I mentioned in my blurb about WANDERLUST, Ms. Singh is so confident about her world that the layers and details are so good and enhance the story telling so much. I'm still eager to read the next installment. B

THE PRICE OF DESIRE by Jo Goodman
A good historical and another solid 'B' read. While the back blurb will tell you Olivia Cole has been promised by her "ne'er-do-well" brother as payment for a gambling debt that is about the only thing that is predictable about this story. This is a fresh telling of a familiar plot. Good characters, a story with depth that is told with compassion without being preachy or precious. If you are in the mood for a good historical. Pick up THE PRICE OF DESIRE.

So there it is August 2008. A few of these were released just Tuesday and I happened on them on Saturday so I got them read in August. Fortunately that means if you are interested you can find most of these books in your local bookstores right now.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Jenster said...

I think I read one whole book in August. Your list doesn't look so meager to me!!

4:42 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Great list and it's really not bad considering how busy you've been :)

Hmmm, it's just too bad for Mr. Cavendish, I presume... I like the title though, so I'll still be getting it :)I agree with you, Thicker than blood was great. Sure, I would have liked it to be longer, but as a novella, I think it was excellent and complete :) Glad I picked up the Jo Goodman yesterday :)

and totally agree with you for the Psy-changelings series. I don't think that HtP was the best of the series, but it was a solid installment and I'm really curious as to where we were heading towards in the series. It's great ;)

5:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jen, I guess the reading thing is all relative. I'm used to reading more than this so it seems meager to me.

Nath, huh, why did I think you didn't read HOSTAGE TO PLEASURE? For some reason I thought you didn't buy it. NS continues to do deliver a great read. I'm curious to read her new series coming up. I hear she has two new excerpts up on her site. As for the Goodman, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you think.

6:43 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

You had a slow month and you still read 11 books.

I think I hate you.

Sigh, don't mind me. I've just insanely envious of "fast readers." Of course maybe if I shut off my TV or backed away from the computer on occasion I'd read "fast" too......

8:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

*booty dance* I got an A!

Thanks for the review, Rosie.

8:30 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

LOL, I read it :D I was one of the ARC winner :) I just bought my own copy yesterday :D I love the world she has created :)

as for the new series, I think it's better to wait to get the full novel... then just the excerpt.

2:57 PM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

A couple of these I have in my pile and now don't know if I should take the time to read them! rut-ro! :)

Love the list! :)

3:38 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wen, I can't get used to the slow down. Of course eventually we can hope the light will dawn, but I feel like I just got used to 15 books and now I'm hovering around 10.

Ann, you know I love Jax, how could I not? Very interesting and intriguing what you've done with their relationship here too.

Nathie, you know I think I remember that now that you mentioned it because I was whining when you did a review that everyone had one but me!

Tracy, don't you hate that feeling when you read someone's list that you might be missing something good????

6:41 PM PDT  
Blogger Jennifer B. said...

Rosie - I feel like a first-timer at some support group, overwhelmed to find someone else suffering the same ailment. LOL My life is busy, my attention fractured a thousand different ways, and my monthly reading also down from 15 to 10 or less books per month. And I can't get used to it, find a rhythm. Keep saying a routine is just around the corner. But damned if I can get a fix on all of it. LOL I do envy you though, YOUR reading list boasts a lot of new releases.

7:04 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jennifer, I keep trying to tell myself that this is my new normal, but I miss reading. I'm not in a slump I just don't have enough hours in the day. I could give up the swimming 3 times a week but it took me 40 years to find an exercise I like so I guess I'd better not do that.

7:16 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

11 books is a slow month??? Amazing.

Sorry to see you didn't really like the JQ. I'm looking forward to it, but now I wonder if I will feel like I'm rereading the same story.....

10:50 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home